Advice for Next Steps After a Facility Closure for a Young Quality Professional

ssponensk

Registered
Hi All,

I am a young Quality professional in the manufacturing industry. Unfortunately, my place of employment has just announced it will be stopping production soon and will be closing its doors. I wanted to seek advice on what others would do in my current situation.

To give some background, I graduated with a BA in Chemistry in 2019. I worked at an Environmental Analytical Laboratory after graduation up until mid-2020 where I made a move into manufacturing with the hopes of excelling in a hourly role and being taken on into a leadership role where I would be able to use my skill set. Fortunately, I got promoted into a Quality Supervisor role which I have been in for ~1.5 years.

With the announcement of my facility's closure, I am feeling a bit lost on what's next for me. It is not new for manufacturing facilities to close in the industry that I work in currently and other facilities in this industry are generally located across the country for me. As much as I enjoy the industry I am in, I do not feel a strong need to go move to another facility elsewhere just to stay in this industry. Around where I live, there is a lot of Aerospace industry and I would like to try and transition into a Quality role within Aerospace or other manufacturing (Food Manufacturing).

Due to some benefits of being a "dislocated worker", I have the option to go back to school and get additional certificates or degrees; I believe this will cover up to two years of additional education at public secondary education schools but I am still learning about the benefits.

Any suggestions on what are some additional certificates or degrees I should try to acquire through these benefits if I want to secure another Quality role in the Aerospace or Food Manufacturing Industries? Additionally, any comments on whether it would just be better to not utilize the "dislocated workers" retraining benefits and instead continue to try and secure a job in one of these industries?

Thank you for any comments and advice. With the facility's closure, I am feeling a bit lost because I was hoping to have much more experience in a Quality Supervisor role before I made my next career jump.

Randy

Super Moderator
You've got a problem and here it is...........You've nothing really to bring to the party, no real work history to fall back on and an education that 5,000 others within 100 miles of you can have. Certificates, degrees and all that with nothing to back them up (experience) make you just another generic can of soup on the hiring shelf in the people store.

My recommendation, lower your sights, take what you can to get into a door, and get some actual time under your belt.

Something I don't say much is also out there.........US Coast Guard, US Air Force, US Navy (in a field you want-only if you qualify) with a degree you could get into a commissioning program & start out at $43,000 plus a year not counting free bennies like medical (worth a few thousand $$ there alone) additionally potential for free or next to free Masters development (my son-in-law did it in Engineering & Management). Yeah, yeah ya gotta cut your hair, stand in lines a bit, and blah, blah, blah.......Here's the deal...No downsizing and if you keep your nose clean, and wash your hands after going to the potty, promotions are automatic. (As an officer you aren't gonna suffer especially in the ones I mentioned------Steer clear of the Army & Marines, I'm an expert on those after nearly 43 years active & reserve)

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to The Cove ssponesk!

Ouch! I had that happen to me. It is very upsetting and disconcerting. I took the education deal, got my BS in Applied Technical Education and went to work in the public school system as an Education Technician II. I lasted 3 years, then went back to QA as a full-time internal auditor. I haven't been back in public education but still find what I learned and experienced useful in other ways.

My point is, I can't say the same would be true for you but I learned that my path has been more about the journey than the destination. These days our careers are seldom linear. Accept it.

Chemistry majors not having a specialty such as Chemical Engineering might struggle to find placement. I suggest a QC Lab Technician for a chemical manufacturer or pharmaceutical. This might not require additional schooling or certifications. Move if you have to; you're young, and my guess is you are not "nailed down" yet.

Alternatively, you can look into Environmental Science or Industrial Hygiene, both of which are good fields and both of which would very likely need post-graduate schooling. I suggest you take it; in my view there is clear benefit of receiving this free schooling.

I hope this helps.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
If you really want to get into aerospace, Randy’s suggestion of the military - especially the Air Force - would be a great way to go. Aerospace companies love Air Force vets! Adn a chemistry degree isn’t high on their list without teh Air Force background.

A chemistry degree will get you into lab positions adn I would recommend a veterinary diagnostic company - I worked for IDEXX for many years and they are good bet. Given your background.

You may also wan tot look into gettign your chemical engineering degree - that will open more doors than chemistry degree….

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I'll take a different approach than above. Manufacturing is hurting for people, especially good people. You're young, eager and trainable. Start networking those companies around where you live, and be open to relocation if the right opportunity comes up. If you're any good, you'll find something quickly.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
The bad news is you're young and inexperienced. the good news is you're young and inexperienced. The military is a great opportunity and provides world-class training unavailable anywhere else in demand in private industry with great $$ pay. I wished I stayed in.

Top Bottom