Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsFuture ISO 9001 Variations: "Lighter" and "Higher Level" Versions?The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Future ISO 9001 Variations: "Lighter" and "Higher Level" Versions?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
international standards, iso 9001 - quality management systems, iso 9001:2015

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 30th October 2010, 02:44 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,211
Look! Future ISO 9001 Variations: "Lighter" and "Higher Level" Versions?

From http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/liveli...4104&vernum=-2

Quote:
That consensus had not yet been reached on how best to position a future ISO 9001. A number of options had been put forward, including for a 3 part series of standards, to include a “lighter” version of ISO 9001, a “current level” version of ISO 9001, and a “higher level” version of the standard. Other options included allowing for a wider ranging version of the standard, with more extensive “exclusions” being permitted. There did seem to be a general feeling that a “lighter” version of ISO 9001 was not a favourable option, but that other options should be considered for the incorporation of “higher” level requirements.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 30th October 2010, 03:30 PM
12stones

Total Posts: 26
Re: Future ISO 9001 Variations: "Lighter" and "Higher Level" Versions?

I don't know that this differentiation of levels is necessary for ISO. Where it's been determined necessary to increase the impact of a quality system, new standards have been created by inserting the additional requirements such as ISO 13485. The initial purpose of ISO 9001 was to create a base level of standardization. If it's determined that ISO 9001 isn't effective in its current state due to not having strict enough guidance or requirements, then the standard should be revised so that it will be deemed more effective in its implementation and practice. If ISO 9001 is sufficient in meeting its intent, then let the industries that require stricter or higher level controls state them in their current standards or create new ones that are based on ISO 9001 as has been done in the past. Just my $0.02.
Thanks to 12stones for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 30th October 2010, 05:24 PM
Sidney Vianna

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by 12stones View Post

The initial purpose of ISO 9001 was to create a base level of standardization.
When released, back in 1987, the first edition of ISO 9001 had two "lesser" siblings: 9002 (minus 4.4 - Design) and 9003.
  Post Number #4  
Old 30th October 2010, 08:30 PM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,191

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

When released, back in 1987, the first edition of ISO 9001 had two "lesser" siblings: 9002 (minus 4.4 - Design) and 9003.
So is it that ISO is going back ?
  Post Number #5  
Old 30th October 2010, 09:10 PM
treesei

Total Posts: 262

This is interesting. For couple of years I have been building something similar but of course not official. I am a supplier quality engineer in the medical device industry. From my experience I believe that it is almost necessary to allow deviations of 9001 to both "higher" and "lighter" directions to build a practically usable and effective supplier base. I have put my thoughts into an article which is under review for publicaion.
  Post Number #6  
Old 30th October 2010, 10:34 PM
Sidney Vianna

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ajit Basrur View Post

So is it that ISO is going back ?
The TC 176 seems to be suffering from lack of leadership or proper vision.

Luckily Mr. Croft is the new SC2 Chair.
  Post Number #7  
Old 31st October 2010, 12:21 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,320

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

The TC 176 seems to be suffering from lack of leadership or proper vision.

Luckily Mr. Croft is the new SC2 Chair.

Standard should not be played to the gallary unlike movies or stage shows. Standard must be just one right standard, which the industry or enterprise must map suitably and according to their business requirements. It is then the duty of the CB to assess and do the bit to provide directions to improve it from the assessed situation.
With one standard now, we have seen so much dilution that good industries just do not recognize the certification from any CB. They make their own choice and when it comes to supplier's status, they even resort to customer audit in spite of supplier being certified.
  Post Number #8  
Old 31st October 2010, 10:22 AM
George Weiss

Total Posts: 444

Just a view/opinion, obviously:
A super-light version would get my vote so that a great deal of fence sitting organizations might consider the move into this ISO controlled world. It would be like a McDonalds dollar menu. I am sure that some form of involvement might be better than complete rejection of certifying the ISO methods and ways. I know a very effective defense supply company whom to this day is not ISO, and operates with one set of calibrated gage blocks. They know their business, and customer’s shaking their heads come back due to the good work done.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >