The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Why do so many ISO 9001 Implementation Programs Fail?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Why do so many ISO 9001 Implementation Programs Fail? - Page 22

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
implementing a qms, implementing iso 9001, iso 9001 - quality management systems, implementation of a standard in a company

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #169  
Old 14th December 2017, 06:54 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,393
Re: Why do so many ISO 9001 Implementation Programs Fail?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SpinDr99 View Post

Getting back to Amanda (remember her?), I hear your pain also. I'm in a similar position but have been in Quality over 20 years. My company moans about spending money on calibration while they buy carpeted runners for the front entry.

I agree that top management must be shown the benefit from the business aspect, for that is what they really understand. The cost of poor quality, the repeat and new business that comes with "getting with the program" and adopting ISO as a set of very helpful tools. I'm letting my top management decide on the Quality Objectives and determine the KPI's they want to track. This lets top management buy-in to the program and have a real sense of ownership, rather than being told what to aim for and what to track. Let top management decide what's important to them. At that point they will be truly invested in showing continual improvement.

I'm in a small company of about 30 people and ISO is still viewed as nothing more that binders in my office and an exercise in worthless paperwork. The General Manager hides customer complaints and rejections since he views them as a "black eye", even though I explain I can't show improvement next year, unless we show where we are this year.

Hopefully you'll be more successful than I've been in getting the light bulb to grow dim before you get an offer elsewhere as I have. It's not hard to see when a company has the commitment.

Take all of the great input on this forum and run with it. Quality is a great career path, and don't let this experience deter you from persuing it.
Just like ownership/management understands the business aspect, quality should too. I have seen too many instances of unnecessary expense trying to "comply" with this or that. If your system is just binders of worthless paperwork, then you have too much paperwork. No document should be worthless (although it's hard to get rid of everything the auditor "expects" to see). If the document doesn't add value, then get rid of it.

The thing that popped out at me was you "letting" top management decide on objectives and kpis. The real question is "guys, what are we going to track for KPIs/objectives?" When people come in and push a system/procedure/document/etc. it usually ends badly. There isn't a manager/owner out there that doesn't track something. Sometimes you need to dig until you find something. It may not be entirely applicable, but it's a start. Also, there is no harm in testing out KPIs. Track them for a few months and if they are no good or unhelpful, get rid of them and move on to something else.

To me, these QM systems quickly get out of control if we are not careful and diligent in keeping them simple and effective.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #170  
Old 15th December 2017, 07:19 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,940
Let Me Help You Re: Why do so many ISO 9001 Implementation Programs Fail?

"My company moans about spending money on calibration while they buy carpeted runners for the front entry."

I completely understand why they would. I frequently find that what has been justified to management as "ISO-Says" is not. Recently, I found a company who had been calibrating things once a year but had NEVER looked at the results from the lab. Over 6 years the equipment had not varied by greater than 0.1%. It's THAT type of doing things for the sake of compliance which management don't appreciate. As Quality "professionals" we often overlook using the QMS to SAVE money with affecting product quality.
  Post Number #171  
Old 15th December 2017, 03:09 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 299

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

There isn't a manager/owner out there that doesn't track something. Sometimes you need to dig until you find something. It may not be entirely applicable, but it's a start...

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

....keeping them simple and effective.
Well said.
Thanks to Kronos147 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #172  
Old 15th December 2017, 03:56 PM
shekarjay

Total Posts: 1

In my opinion ISO 9001 is a framework which can be adapted for management and quality. The documentation process helps in regulating the activities / process.
The failure arises out of documentation, processes and business objective not being aligned to the desired outcome which is definitely dollars-cents.
The execution to success is the probably the desired outcome of ISO 9001.

Hope this helps in the interpretation

shekar Iyer

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >