The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO9001:2015 Process Interactions

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
interaction of processes (see process interactions), iso 9001:2015, organizational knowledge, process interactions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:46 AM
Solitude

Total Posts: 22
Thank You! ISO9001:2015 Process Interactions

We have been giving some thought to process interaction for ISO9001:2015 and we have produced the attached. We are not currently certified and have just started on the road to certification.

I would appreciate any feedback that people may have. I am a little concerned that there is a lot here and when we start to apply section 4.4.1 to this, there is a lot to do in the way of performance indicators, etc.

Thanks in anticipation.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xlsx Process Interaction Draft 1_22-08-2016.xlsx (15.7 KB, 2731 views)
Thank You to Solitude for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:37 AM
howste

Total Posts: 5,055
Re: ISO9001:2015 Process Interactions

I does look like you have a lot of processes. Some of them may just be parts of other processes, or could be combined with related processes.

Again, here is the definition of a process in ISO 9001:2105:
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ISO 9000:2015

set of interrelated or interacting activities that use inputs to deliver an intended result
You should look at each process and decide if it really is a process, or maybe an activity that is part of another process. For example, Identification and Traceability seems like it is an activity that is done as part of Assembly and other processes. Resources are probably allocated as part of the Management Review and Planning processes. Organizational Knowledge needs to be defined and maintained, but it probably happens as an output of other processes.

You may also combine some of the related processes that are similar or repetitious. For example, you have Planning and Production Planning as two separate processes that may be combined (unless Planning is part of Management Review?). You have Document and Data Control and Control of Records as separate processes that may be combined.

Obviously I'm not saying that you need to do what I suggested, but I'm trying to point out some options to simplify. Ultimately you and your organization will determine the right processes for your system.
Thank You to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:24 AM
pondo

Total Posts: 71

I think you did an excellent job of laying out exactly what happens in your organization. I also believe, as the replier above, you should consider simplifying for the sake of capturing your performance indicators.

All I did was use the turtle process diagram approach and identify the individual major process that constitute the overall company process. I.e. Sales, Estimating/Pricing, Order Entry, Launch.........through Delivery to the customer. Then I capture the support processes such as maintenance, internal audit, corrective action, etc.. Each separate process has performance measurables. Outputs of previous process are typically the input to the next process.
Thank You to pondo for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 24th August 2016, 09:24 AM
Solitude

Thanks for your feedback. I am looking at rationalising what we have with the team here. A number of these interaction maps I have seen on line look very light and have omissions like Document Control (old ISO) and no Internal Audit process. How does that paint a complete picture of the processes required for the QMS? I understand that they may not be "operational processes" but surely they are necessary??
Thanks to Solitude for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 24th August 2016, 03:25 PM
Solitude

I would be interested in what people have as their top level processes as most manufacturing organisations would be similar I would imagine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  Post Number #6  
Old 24th August 2016, 07:20 PM
Project Man

Total Posts: 98

It is very painful for those of us "eyeball deep" in in the intricacies of day-to-day operations to boil down what we do into very macro terms but that is exactly what is being asked of you.
I would encourage you to read the definition that Howste gave from 9000:2015.
After looking at your chart I believe you have 4 processes:
Customer Focus (all interactions with the customer on the front end and the back end i.e. RFQ, Quote, Contract Review, Customer Feedback, etc)
Design
Purchasing (includes supplier management)
Production Planning/Production (this is everything it takes to get raw mat'l/goods through getting parts to the customer)
Thank You to Project Man for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th August 2016, 12:15 PM
Solitude

Thanks @Project Man. Your post has lead me to have a complete rethink in a good way.
  Post Number #8  
Old 25th August 2016, 05:43 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,159

Some of the processes shown in the bottom box could be sub-processes.

I tried to list only the major (production-related) processes in my 2015 audit report, and was told I must list all the processes I audited, as well as (warning!) KPIs for all those processes. Clearly the requirements differ among CBs...

Anyway, I was happy to see you include IT because your data system is very important! And they support your record retention through backups, yes? IT people are very important sources for risk-based thinking in so many ways. Ask Sony, whose recovery following their hack took almost a year. An interviewee described such details as people were being asked "How much do we pay you?" and having to talk with each other instead of using email.

But I digress. My point is the QMS is for the system, not just the production-related processes, and the system should be represented in the interaction... which, by the way does not have to be a map though yours looks very nice except the support processes I would keep in the bottom (IT, control of documentation, knowledge management etc.) also support the management processes so I would have considered their being in an overall box, in which the diagram can show those subjects touch all the others.
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >