Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Quality Department Objectives

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
quality department, quality objectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th January 2018, 02:52 PM
SESPOLY

Total Posts: 3
Question Quality Department Objectives

I work in the Quality Department of a manufacturing facility. The company has several objectives (goals) such as reducing scrap, reducing nonconforming material, increasing sales, reducing customer returns, reducing injuries, turning R&D projects into sales, etc. Of course the Quality Department supports the company in all these areas. As a department, we also track and monitor many of these objectives and even though we can impact them somewhat, we don't directly. Such as reducing scrap and nonconforming material from production or looking for new sales.

My question is, what are some suggested objectives that will support the company, but would be directly impacted by the Quality Department. I realize that some may be to reduce errors in the inspection process, time to test material and provide timely results to production.

Anyone have any other objectives specifically for the Quality Department that they would have direct control over yet help in the success of the company?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 5th January 2018, 04:01 PM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 273
Re: Quality Department Objectives

Are you looking for department specific objectives because your organization wants them or are you trying to meet requirements of a standard? Btw our quality department directly impacts scrap percentages by doing in process inspections. It definitely makes a difference catching things in process in smaller amounts rather than at the end in larger quantities.
  Post Number #3  
Old 5th January 2018, 04:07 PM
SESPOLY

Total Posts: 3

Yes, the organization has at least asked for each department to consider objectives. Since we define Quality as a process, our ISO9001 external auditor expects them as well stating each process must have defined measurables. Don't need several just looking for ideas we may have overlooked. As far as scrap goes, our quality department can impact it as well by performing inspections. However, since this KPI is owned by production, not sure how we could measure what impact quality has on it.
Thanks
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th January 2018, 04:23 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,309
Thumbs up Re: Quality Department Objectives

Welcome to The Cove.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SESPOLY View Post

I realize that some may be to reduce errors in the inspection process, time to test material and provide timely results to production.
So, why not use these? When it comes to quality objectives, one should be careful not to have too many, as you are expected to track them and maintain documented information. The scope of responsibility of quality departments vary widely. So, if the 3 you listed are in your scope, my suggestion is to stick to them, as a starting point.

Also, please note that some of the business objectives you listed for the organization would NOT be deemed quality objectives by some experts. Have a look at the Quality Objectives - Is this an audit nonconformity? thread.

While businesses must manage many objectives in order to prosper, not every business objective is a quality objective; actually some business objectives (when not properly managed) work against product conformity and customer satisfaction.

Good luck.
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th January 2018, 02:02 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,338

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SESPOLY View Post

I work in the Quality Department of a manufacturing facility. The company has several objectives (goals) such as reducing scrap, reducing nonconforming material, increasing sales, reducing customer returns, reducing injuries, turning R&D projects into sales, etc. Of course the Quality Department supports the company in all these areas. As a department, we also track and monitor many of these objectives and even though we can impact them somewhat, we don't directly. Such as reducing scrap and nonconforming material from production or looking for new sales.

My question is, what are some suggested objectives that will support the company, but would be directly impacted by the Quality Department. I realize that some may be to reduce errors in the inspection process, time to test material and provide timely results to production.

Anyone have any other objectives specifically for the Quality Department that they would have direct control over yet help in the success of the company?
Thanks
Your thinking needs to evolve from collecting data that does not have meaning to your process.

Then the thinking should be evolving into continuous improvement, quality tools and efficiency of manufacturing.

Remeber - Quality does not own the process - they just merely reflect the outcome of production.
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th January 2018, 05:22 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,309

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dsanabria View Post

Remeber - Quality does not own the process - they just merely reflect the outcome of production.
Obviously, a quality department can own processes that affect customer satisfaction. Not everyone limits the processes of an organization to macro/high level processes like many AEA’s do, in a totally artificial manner, just to limit the number of PEAR forms they have to fill out.
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th January 2018, 06:13 PM
normzone

Total Posts: 751

I've been down this road before. The Q department is under pressure from on high to show that they too monitor and work to improve their performance.

But since most of what they do does not fit cleanly into this category, as others have described above, it's difficult to find an appropriate issue to track and brag on. Best of luck to you ....
Thank You to normzone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th February 2018, 04:10 PM
SpinDr99

Total Posts: 61

I'm in an exactly opposite situation where we are a service organization with a contract with one major customer and several customers under them. The contract covers all customers with 90-100% compliance requirements. While many requirements are business and not Quality related, customer satisfaction still rules.

Our Quality Policy still addresses meeting customer requirements and continuous improvement, but with the contract setting the bar SO high, it's almost impossible to show improvement since we meet the compliance requirements.

Corporate (and I) believe there's room for improvement and Quality Objectives are possible. I just can't seem to put my finger on them. BTW, this is the organization's first exposure to ISO-9001 (2008, as the contract requires), and except for Quality Objectives, we are compliant (no requirement for certification currently). Processes and materials are dictated by the manufacturers' service manuals so there's no room for streamlining there, costs (Purchasing of materials/services) are tightly monitored by the customer, scrap, rejections and rework are virtually zero. The workforce is highly skilled and talented. To say this is a very tightly run ship is a gross understatement.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on where to look for Quality Objectives. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >