The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, document control, documents of external origin, legal requirements, regulations and regulatory requirements, regulatory requirements, statutory requirements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 26th February 2018, 02:00 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 970
Re: Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws?

We always just assigned a number to the doc like {ExtDoc-001}, stamped it "Controlled" in red, then treated it like any other procedure or method.

Same approvals, same "Change/Release" process...the only difference was that it was already written.

Rev tracking was handled just like any other internal controlled document.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 26th February 2018, 02:40 PM
SpinDr99

Total Posts: 61

Thanks Marc, but now I'm really scratching my head mixing documents with calibration. To me, they're two different beasts.

So in order to keep on topic, I still need help on how I'm supposed to "control" documents of external origin when they're not my documents. Any takers?
  Post Number #19  
Old 26th February 2018, 04:13 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 970

They ARE your documents. You just didn't write them.
  Post Number #20  
Old 26th February 2018, 05:25 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,390

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SpinDr99 View Post

Thanks Marc, but now I'm really scratching my head mixing documents with calibration. To me, they're two different beasts.

So in order to keep on topic, I still need help on how I'm supposed to "control" documents of external origin when they're not my documents. Any takers?
You "control" them just like any other document. There is a process for updating, reviewing, approving, and making available for use. Don't over complicate it.

Take something as common as a customer print. You get it, review it to make sure you can do it, "approve" it by your acceptance, and then you file it some how for retrieval when needed.

Or a customer specification -- you might keep a log and file for future use. Things like that.
  Post Number #21  
Old 26th February 2018, 05:45 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,501

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SpinDr99 View Post

Calibration databases are "recall" systems. You can use them for more than measurement and test devices. Let's say you have a standard, or a regulation, or what ever, and you want to make sure you check to see if you have the current revision every 6 months - Just put it in your calibration system database (or what ever you use for measurement devices).

It's just a database (or spreadsheet or whatever you use for measurement devices).

Of course, the best thing is if you have a document control database already, just use it. If it's a decent one there should be a way to enter any document, including ones of external origin.

Ask yourself this: What am I trying to achieve? You are wanting a way to track external documents that your company has, and to ensure you have the latest revision. The question is: What do you already have to achieve your intended purpose?

I mentioned the calibration database example as I have seen companies that had robust calibration databases that had rather simple document control systems and/or wanted to keep internal company documents separate from documents of external origin.

I apologise if I am confusing you. Having worked with so many companies over the last 35 years I've seen so many ways of controlling documents that -Well, each company has certain things already, and since I have mostly worked with companies as a business systems consultant ("quality" systems are a sub-set), it can be a bit difficult to try to advise without really working closely with the company. Add to that, there are so many different types of external documents - customer prints, customer specific requirements, federal, state, local and other regulatory documents of various kinds, legal requirements, contracts, permits of various kinds, etc., etc. that - Well, it's hard to do more than generalize in discussion forum posts because of the variety of, and individuality of, each company. For example, I have worked with Motorola and Harley Davidson - Both are very different, both in size and structure, not to mention small companies of 10 people or so.

As to "document control", I got my early "learnings" back in the 1980's in DoD environments where complexity was part of it in part because of the mix of documents from "top secret" to the company bathroom policies, so... And over the years I've seen so many document control systems that I can't count them. And before that, I spent a lot of time in libraries - Think about document control in the context of books and papers.

I will make you this offer - If you want to talk with me, no charge, to discuss your situation and specifics, I would be happy to do so. Just let me know.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >