Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsQMS and ISO - Where to start?The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
QMS and ISO - Where to start?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

QMS and ISO - Where to start? - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
implementing a qms, implementing iso 9001
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 7th March 2018, 12:41 PM

Total Posts: 36
Re: QMS and ISO - Where to start?

Your question: Do I really want to implement a QMS or pass an audit? Is extremely valid in my situation!

Due to my inexperience - I assumed I needed both!
I believe the question being asked (and correct me if I am wrong) is does your company need a Quality Management System as a tool to improve their business, or are you being tasked with doing this just so your company can say it has ISO 9001 without any real interest in how is is achieved or what use it might be?

One company I interviewed for many years ago wanted me to implement ISO9001 in their company and said it would be "the cherry on top". A little probing found that senior management had absolutely no interest in what it was, they just knew they needed it because their big customers told them they did, and wanted someone to "come in and do it for them, without them having to get involved".

If you hear these terms being used, run, run quickly, run far :-)

Last edited by Scanton; 8th March 2018 at 12:41 PM.
Thank You to Scanton for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 7th March 2018, 08:10 PM

Total Posts: 7

Scanton - it's like you can read my mind!
  Post Number #19  
Old 7th March 2018, 11:58 PM

Total Posts: 26,371

In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

Ok never mind. I am stupid and don't know what I am talking about. Ditch the example and struggle trying to figure it out on your own. Good luck.

Come on. Nowhere did I say just implement a canned system. I said use it as an example to work from. Most everyone starts out with a lot more than they need and over the years reduces it to make it more effective.
I have said many times over the years, canned "systems" documentation caan be beneficial - So I do agree with you.

The key is - Do the users understand many of the concepts. For example, if someone has a canned document control procedure - Do they really understand the requirements of a document control system? If they don't it can lead to significant problems. That's where AndyN is coming from, I believe, when he says:
...using a template can end up creating a monster...
Same with calibration. Someone in the company has to have at least a basic understanding of calibration requirements. A canned procedure can to some degree help in understanding the basic requirements, but not alone. Further learning is necessary.

I'm all for canned procedures to get some ideas, especially on format and stuff, but someone still has to understand each system requirement.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >

Visitors Currently Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 Registered Visitors (Members) and 1 Unregistered Guest Visitors)