Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, corrective action (ca), internal audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 24th March 2018, 11:08 AM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,726
Re: Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed

Without even looking at the whole thing here's what I'll guess, the audit schedule and the audits were set up to look at the whole organization, something that's not required at all...Nope, not one bit So any negative results from not doing just that are self inflicted wounds.

Taking the time to actually read what is required we'll see that it's the management system, and not the organization that is required to be audited for it's effectiveness. The management system is all that dribble talk we find between 4.1 to 10.3 (4.1, 4.2 & 4.3 are actually out of sequence because 4.4.1 should be 1st with everything following it's requirements, but that would make too much sense)

Sidney kind of pegged it when he brought out importance and risk as well as previous results and of course the lack of added value.

You guys are probably trying to do too much, with too little, in too short of a time frame, a guaranteed formula for "lack of success"

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 25th March 2018, 09:11 AM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 301

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

You guys are probably trying to do too much, with too little, in too short of a time frame, a guaranteed formula for "lack of success"
Recipe for failure.
  Post Number #11  
Old 25th March 2018, 11:26 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,217

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RoxaneB View Post

Personally, I've never truly been a fan of multiple (mini) audits throughout the year. I prefer full-blown system audits. It does require a commitment from internal resources for a larger chunk of time (instead of small chunks over a space of time), but I find it provides a much better picture as to the state and health of the management system.
CBs are being paid a significant amount of money to do full system audits, and if you find that periodic well-targeted audits don't provide useful information as to the state of the system, there's something wrong with the periodic audits or the review of the results.

As for the CB requiring makeups, I think it's questionable and unless it's an explicit contractual requirement I might push back. If it is an explicit contractual requirement, you have a contract review problem.
  Post Number #12  
Old 25th March 2018, 04:43 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,254

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

As for the CB requiring makeups, I think it's questionable and unless it's an explicit contractual requirement I might push back. If it is an explicit contractual requirement, you have a contract review problem.
Would you think the same if, instead of unperformed internal audits, the nonconformity was due to unperformed product inspection and tests? I.e., the organization shipped products without inspecting and testing them, according to the product quality plan.

If the CB doesn’t enforce any containment for the organization lack of adherence to an internal audit plan, the organization, which very likely believes internal audits are a waste of time and effort, will be “rewarded” for not doing something they are supposed to do.
  Post Number #13  
Old 25th March 2018, 06:34 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,217

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

Would you think the same if, instead of unperformed internal audits, the nonconformity was due to unperformed product inspection and tests? I.e., the organization shipped products without inspecting and testing them, according to the product quality plan.

If the CB doesn’t enforce any containment for the organization lack of adherence to an internal audit plan, the organization, which very likely believes internal audits are a waste of time and effort, will be “rewarded” for not doing something they are supposed to do.
I don't think it is or should be a system of rewards and punishments. In the example you cite, do you think it would be reasonable to make the organization redo whatever it was that was missed in shipping NC product? I'm not going to make any hard-and-fast judgments in the present case, but I think that the normal CA route--here's what we did wrong and here's what we're going to do about it--should suffice. This is especially so if the CB can't point to any evidence that the system was truly compromised by the omissions.
  Post Number #14  
Old 25th March 2018, 07:07 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,254

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

In the example you cite, do you think it would be reasonable to make the organization redo whatever it was that was missed in shipping NC product?
Without a question in that example, part of the containment would require recall of the products for proper conformity verification.

As for the case in this thread, it is clear that the organization themselves don't see the benefit in the internal audit program. Otherwise, they would have "made them up" before the situation being uncovered by the CB.

That is the biggest issue at hand. Internal audits are perceived as a waste by most certified organizations. And the reality is: they are right, as the vast majority of internal audits performed out there are poorly planned, terribly executed, by auditors who have not been made competent and have zero value to the organization's management. And CB's are accomplices in letting this sad state of affairs with totally ineffective internal audits being perpetuated.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 26th March 2018, 08:08 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,039
Thumbs up Re: Corrective Action from Internal Audits not performed

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

Without a question in that example, part of the containment would require recall of the products for proper conformity verification.

As for the case in this thread, it is clear that the organization themselves don't see the benefit in the internal audit program. Otherwise, they would have "made them up" before the situation being uncovered by the CB.

That is the biggest issue at hand. Internal audits are perceived as a waste by most certified organizations. And the reality is: they are right, as the vast majority of internal audits performed out there are poorly planned, terribly executed, by auditors who have not been made competent and have zero value to the organization's management. And CB's are accomplices in letting this sad state of affairs with totally ineffective internal audits being perpetuated.
Amen, bro...
  Post Number #16  
Old 29th March 2018, 01:32 PM
jgreen39

Total Posts: 3

I typically perform one full system audit per year that covers all of my processes. I put together a 3 person team, and it typically takes 2 days. We have an opening meeting prior to, and a closing meeting with the entire management team when we are finished.

We are very good about completing LPA's and Control Plan Audits throughout the year, and data from these audits drive any additional Internal Audits that may be required.

Auditing done correctly and used for more than paperwork compliance can be a great tool.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >