The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audits and auditing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 29th May 2018, 03:11 PM
allym

Total Posts: 2
Question ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit

All,

We have our ISO 9001:2015 Upgrade audit next week. I got a call today from our auditor and he requested copies of the procedures for our key processes.

I am newer in the quality world but have never sent this level of documentation to a 3rd part auditor before. I have sent him our QM already.

Is this a normal request?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 29th May 2018, 04:34 PM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,760
Re: ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit

I have not been asked for this. I've provided the Quality Manual and a master document list, but not procedures or work instructions.

In fact the auditors I've worked with over the last 15 years don't take any copies if any procedures with them.

I'd ask why and say "we prefer not send our QMS documentation off site"

Sounds like the auditor is trying to get a jump on things and do the desktop part early.
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 29th May 2018, 06:38 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,118
Let Me Help You Re: ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by allym View Post

All,

We have our ISO 9001:2015 Upgrade audit next week. I got a call today from our auditor and he requested copies of the procedures for our key processes.

I am newer in the quality world but have never sent this level of documentation to a 3rd part auditor before. I have sent him our QM already.

Thanks!
No, it's not normal. The auditors rarely get paid for their time to review before the audit. If the CB asks you, that's different. I'd tell the auditor you don't let documents off site.
Thank You to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 29th May 2018, 07:39 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,085
Re: ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ScottK View Post

I'd ask why and say "we prefer not send our QMS documentation off site".
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AndyN View Post

I'd tell the auditor you don't let documents off site.
Totally agree.
  Post Number #5  
Old 29th May 2018, 07:59 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,463

Why punch him in the nose? If he is actually trying to understand what you do and how, why not help him. Imo it would be great if the auditor knew our operation. Saves me the trouble of explaining it again and again. As long as it's not The Colonel's secret recipe you should be fine.
Thank You to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 29th May 2018, 08:19 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,756

Nope not right, not even. I'd have a couple comments to make but I'll hold back. If he's insistent ask for another auditor because this isn't the norm and it's not taught that way.
  Post Number #7  
Old 29th May 2018, 09:08 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,318

Quote:

As already mentioned, this is not the norm, for 3rd party auditing. A couple of things you can do:
Call the technical manager at the CB and ask if it is their policy to have auditors requesting these documents ahead of the audit or is this a case of an auditor going rogue. Ask them also if they are willing to sign a draconian Non Disclosure Agreement before the documents are released. That should kill it.
From a risk based perspective, how much proprietary information is in the documents?
  Post Number #8  
Old 29th May 2018, 09:53 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,368

Quote:

All,

Thanks!
Be aware that good 3t party auditors will audit your processes to the standard. Internal audits should have audited to your procedures and the standard...

So, if a third party auditor is asking for procedures... get another auditor because this is a new auditor with old having - requesting procedures is not the norm.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >