The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets? - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
document control, iso 9001:2015, measurement traceability

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:29 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,089
Re: ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Miner View Post

Got it. You are grabbing it on an edge with the 4-way arrow, not with the + sign in the lower right corner. That does duplicate your issue.
- We would run 5-10 parts on a CMM for length and 3 width measurements, fire the part, then measure the parts again.
- Data came out in .csv file (Vertex did not export to XL).
- We then opened the .csv in XL and used copy/paste to put the data into the calc spreadsheet for firing shrinkage.

it is easier to drop the data block, then move it to where it was needed than to copy/paste each of 10 lines...that's how I found this flaw.

In the end, I would rebuild the spreadsheet around the data format of the .csv so it was only one copy/paste to avoid the dragging...and rather pointed discussions during training about data integrity...with a few repeats of "Thou shalt not drag lest you die".

Typo's were the #1 cause of measurement error from a CMM...copy paste solved it...with the weakness of drag/drop ever present.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:54 PM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,372
Look! Re: ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets?

To reactivate copy/paste, you can either delete these lines outlined in red, or set the first line to True.
Attached Thumbnails
ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets?-vba-script-jpg  
  Post Number #19  
Old 29th June 2018, 09:47 AM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,159
Re: ISO 9001:2015 - Is control possible with Excel adaptable measurement sheets?

I agree that protecting formula cells is not a perfect control. It is worth checking occasionally to see if the data are being made unreliable. It may be considered a reasonable control nonetheless, just as is saving a scanned document as a .pdf when a person can use Adobe's Professional edit feature and change text...
  Post Number #20  
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:01 PM
Candi1024

Total Posts: 128

I can't duplicate the error when I make a sheet, but I can see the error on your sheet.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xlsx Test Error.xlsx (8.3 KB, 18 views)
  Post Number #21  
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:51 AM
txema

Total Posts: 1

Dear Mike,

I understand that you would like to establish a system but there are things you have to consider which are as follows:
1. you have to establish control measures since there may be a point of abuse if all operators may be given the chance to edit / revise the spreadsheet.
2. there may be a need for you to determine or assign an administrator to control and moderate people using the spreadsheet. A login system may be part of the design so users may be properly identified.
3. I agree that the spreadsheet itself may not be controlled but a FORM as its representation may be done otherwise.
4. In the event that a USER would like to edit/revise the spreadsheet, a CHANGE CONTROL MANAGEMENT needs to be in place and NO REVISION may be granted unless APPROVED. This action then may be given to the administrator as deemed necessary.
Thank you. Hoping that my inputs may be beneficial.

Txema
  Post Number #22  
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:05 AM
Ninja

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Candi1024 View Post

I can't duplicate the error when I make a sheet, but I can see the error on your sheet.
Hi Candi,

When I try to drag and drop on your sheet, it tells me I cannot make a change on a change protected sheet...that looks great to me...and I can still copy and paste.

What EXACTLY did you do to protect your sheet? (Step by step...)
  Post Number #23  
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:07 AM
Ninja

It looks like you just did "Protect Sheet" without putting in a password...is that right?

If so, that's a lot better than what I've seen before...folks can "unprotect it"...but not accidentally drag & drop...
  Post Number #24  
Old 5th July 2018, 03:34 PM
Candi1024

Total Posts: 128

Ninja, If I put a password in, it still works. Maybe it's the version of Excel I am using, because I didn't do anything else special.

I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013, which has Excel 2013.

I'll be adding that in my next validation for sure!

Last edited by Candi1024; 5th July 2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: grammer

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >