The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
So much turnover, How to improve our training process?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

So much turnover, How to improve our training process? - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Causes of Employee Turnover - Your Opinion (Multiple Choice)
Pay Rate (Wages) 15 50.00%
Benefits such as Healthcare 8 26.67%
Benefits such as Childcare 0 0%
Working Conditions 17 56.67%
Work Hours 8 26.67%
Cafeteria or Breakroom 0 0%
Management Attitude and Related Aspects (Company Culture) 25 83.33%
Company Location 4 13.33%
Career Development Opportunities 10 33.33%
Recognition of Personal Achievements 8 26.67%
Advancement Opportunities 9 30.00%
Training Aspects 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
employee satisfaction, employee turnover, training (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 27th June 2018, 09:35 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,024
Re: So much turnover, How to improve our training process?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

What's the relationship between training & turnover?

One is an apple and the other a duck unless you can link the 2 together and justify or validate the linkage
Just sayin' ...
Attached Thumbnails
So much turnover, How to improve our training process?-hqdefault-jpg  
Thank You to Ninja for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 27th June 2018, 10:58 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,714

More of a Swan
  Post Number #11  
Old 28th June 2018, 12:19 PM
John C. Abnet

Total Posts: 48

Good day @pammesue;
I hope you've been well.
I will affirm the other comments listed here as well as suggest looking for ways that your organization can be "set apart" from the competing job market in an area of such low unemployment. I have watched the work force change significantly in the course of my career. We must recognize that this change is not bad, it's simply change, and we must change with it. Associates are no longer as willing to be "locked down" in a building to acquire a paycheck. They can get that anywhere, and for $0.25 more, they will.
The current generations value their time, value connections to family and friends, value a way to impact the world around them. Look at what the competing job markets are doing and then do different. ATM in the breakroom? On site or subsidized child care? Four day work week?
If these "drastic" measures aren't supported, then look for ways to give associates a purpose and not just a task. How can they be included in planning sessions? How can they be included in community service projects and outreach?
None of these come without time and expense, but if one quantifies the time and expense of turnover, loss of experienced workforce, etc..., it becomes a return on investment that can be supported.
Be well.
  Post Number #12  
Old 29th June 2018, 08:16 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,247

Yeah, your problem is not training, it is the hiring process.

What the job entails should never come as a surprise to the employee; if it is gonna be hot and physical work they should be hearing, seeing, and feeling that during the interview process.

By all means ask those leaving why they are leaving, even if you gotta induce them (gift card, etc.) to get them to bother, and then do your best to actually address those issues, or else things will not change.

But to some degree you can get people to do hot, physical work. Farmers, steelworkers, landscapers, construction workers, military folks, and others. You gotta find the combination of things needed to make the job appealing enough for people to wanna stay, and only 1 part of that is pay.
Thanks to Mike S. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 29th June 2018, 09:07 AM
JeantheBigone

Total Posts: 162

I'm probably not too far from you, and while we don't have a huge turnover problem, we have a hard time finding qualified employees. Of course, the concept was to put a manufacturing facility in the middle of nowhere where there is nothing but a captive, uneducated workforce that cares more about huntin' and fishin' than work.

If the problem is the physical conditions, how is training going to help? Is there some other issue? Some have mentioned pay and benefits, but the company I work for provides pay and benefits second to none for 50 miles around and people are still openly discussing leaving in the hallways. The real issue is management and an atmosphere of throwing co-workers under the bus. If people don't feel appreciated and valued, they will leave sooner or later. No amount of training will fix that.
  Post Number #14  
Old 29th June 2018, 09:55 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,708

It kind of seems to me that you should do a cost analysis of the turnover - recruiting costs, training costs, production loss, reject rate - and see if that can rationalize the cost of making the work environment more bearable (installing AC or better air flow).

Based on the limited information here I'd sat the training is more needed for management than for the shop floor employees.

Look at Maslow's hierarchy - you need to take care of the physical needs - i.e. environment, pay, safety, comfort, before you take on the psychological needs (training and advancement).

What are your exit interviews telling you... when people stick around long enough to talk?
Thank You to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 29th June 2018, 10:04 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,555

I have added a poll to this discussion because of the varied opinions on causes of employee turnover.

The Original Post asks in what way Training can help reduce employee turnover and it appears few people see any connection. Do you?
  Post Number #16  
Old 29th June 2018, 10:15 AM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 581

I agree a big cause is company culture. This is something the employee does not really see until they have been there for a time. In my experience, I think something employees are attracted to, is a company that acknowledges they exist and takes the time to thank them for well done jobs. I have seen that one thing prevail over all else, even pay. People need to feel valued. If you feel like a (replaceable) cog in a wheel, you will be.
Thanks to hogheavenfarm for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >