The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

So much turnover, How to improve our training process? - Page 4

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Causes of Employee Turnover - Your Opinion (Multiple Choice)
Pay Rate (Wages) 17 53.13%
Benefits such as Healthcare 9 28.13%
Benefits such as Childcare 0 0%
Working Conditions 19 59.38%
Work Hours 8 25.00%
Cafeteria or Breakroom 0 0%
Management Attitude and Related Aspects (Company Culture) 27 84.38%
Company Location 5 15.63%
Career Development Opportunities 11 34.38%
Recognition of Personal Achievements 8 25.00%
Advancement Opportunities 10 31.25%
Training Aspects 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
employee satisfaction, employee turnover, training (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 11th July 2018, 11:43 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,666
Re: So much turnover, How to improve our training process?

FYI - US Employment 2018: Job Quits Rate Hits 17-Year High; Labor Market Tightening

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 11th July 2018, 12:40 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 891

This is good news, no?
It is a sign of healthy competition for labor, which leads to better wages and working conditions for prospecting employees. Are there any down sides (aside from the employers who now have to strategize/negotiate on how to best retain workers)?
  Post Number #27  
Old 11th July 2018, 01:49 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,666

Well, time will tell. I can't think of any downsides. Best I can say is it sure sounds good for laborers.

Then again - Real wages haven't budged vs. real inflation for years and family debt burdens in the US are way, way up again. In addition, considering most new jobs are low wage jobs... I'll leave the current trade issues and their repercussions discussions to political sites.
  Post Number #28  
Old 12th July 2018, 07:52 AM
KimGr

Total Posts: 7

We were having an issue with high temporary turnover. Different root cause as ours was our hiring practices. I agree with the others that likely training isn't your issue but most of the things that are being discussed can't be fixed over night. A thing we did for different reasons might help you out while you tackle the other issues. Our lean coordinator implemented the TWI (training within industry) method. Standard work is the key to using this method so if you don't have that yet it would be a big project. TWI is task specific training designed to get the employee working quickly. Designed for ramp ups during WWII.

My thought in suggesting is that even with the high turnover the people will be working productively before they quit. I am not recommending this as your fix, just your interim action (if you have the resources). It's also a good lean practice even if you don't have an issue. I can't post a link yet but you can google training within industry and find quite a bit of information.
Thank You to KimGr for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #29  
Old 12th July 2018, 10:17 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,761

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by KimGr View Post

We were having an issue with high temporary turnover. Different root cause as ours was our hiring practices. I agree with the others that likely training isn't your issue but most of the things that are being discussed can't be fixed over night. A thing we did for different reasons might help you out while you tackle the other issues. Our lean coordinator implemented the TWI (training within industry) method. Standard work is the key to using this method so if you don't have that yet it would be a big project. TWI is task specific training designed to get the employee working quickly. Designed for ramp ups during WWII.

My thought in suggesting is that even with the high turnover the people will be working productively before they quit. I am not recommending this as your fix, just your interim action (if you have the resources). It's also a good lean practice even if you don't have an issue. I can't post a link yet but you can google training within industry and find quite a bit of information.
There are a bunch of TWI videos on youtube.

Here's the classic... YouTube
Thank You to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #30  
Old 12th July 2018, 10:29 PM
Jettet

Total Posts: 4

devils advocate, of the 56% who stay, what roles are they filling? Is it role specific where turnover is? What's the difference between the 2 groups? No amount of training will ever rectify unhappiness or dissatisfaction. Is the role accurately described at the recruitment stage? At the end of the day no amount of money can make up for personal satisfaction which can be so easily compromised by management. What's that saying, "Good employees leave bad managers".
  Post Number #31  
Old 13th July 2018, 02:21 AM
jack770214

Total Posts: 30

I don't see a correlation. The company I am in has a wonderful training program. People leave because of no work life balance. I stay because I refuse to get a 4 yr or masters degree at 50 needed to move to up the quality career ladder, I only have a 2 yr degree. I regularly have meetings from 630 to 800pm some as early as 630am. Besides my normal hours of 8 to 5. Traveling for the company on weekends is not considered working, yet somehow we meet EEIC and labor requirements. There is so much turnover in management that I have seen the same projects done over again by different managers, not knowing it was a repeated project. I think there was a comment about hunting and fishing. God forbid people be happy without material objects but there seems to be an awakening that time is more precious than money and I am glad to see it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
  Post Number #32  
Old 13th July 2018, 11:46 AM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 590

What Jack said.... The poll was interesting because while many noted that company culture and management attitude were vital, it was also admitted that this is one of the things that takes time for the new employee to determine. So while it may be vital, it is also most unknowable at time of hiring.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >