Definition Major Nonconformity vs. Minor Nonconformity - Definition and Differences

H

hibou

Does someone know where the definition of 'minor' and 'major' non conformity/conformance can be found ?? It is critical to know where the treshold is...
Tx.:confused:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: definition Major/Minor Non conformity

Also you could get a copy of the AS9104 Standard (Registration/Certification Aerospace Requirements-Buy it) that defines the classifications, I believe.

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Also you could get a copy of the ISO17021 Standard (Buy it) that defines the classifications, I believe.

I just did a quick search, just to make sure, but neither ISO 17021 nor ISO 19011 provide definitions of "Minor" and "Major" nonconformities.

Stijloor.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

I just did a quick search, just to make sure, but neither ISO 17021 nor ISO 19011 provide definitions of "Minor" and "Major" nonconformities.

Stijloor.

See my edit. It actually defines it in AS9104. Sorry you must have been posting at the time of my edit.

Here is the definition from AS9104:

AS9104 said:
Major: The absence of, or total breakdown of a quality management system element... Minor: A single system failure or lapse in conformance...

howste

Thaumaturge

The automotive TS Rules 3rd Edition defines them as:
TS Rules 3rd Edition said:
Major nonconformity
Is one or more of the following:
• The absence or total breakdown of a system to meet an ISO/TS 16949:2002 requirement. A number of minor nonconformities against one requirement can represent a total breakdown of the system and thus be considered a major nonconformity.
• Any noncompliance that would result in the probable shipment of nonconforming product. A condition that may result in the failure or materially reduce the usability of the products or services for their intended purpose.
• A noncompliance that judgement and experience indicate is likely either to result in the failure of the quality management system or to materially reduce its ability to ensure control of processes and products.

Minor nonconformity
Is a failure to comply with ISO/TS 16949:2002 which based on judgment and experience is not likely to result in the failure of the quality management system or reduce its ability to ensure controlled processes or products. It may be one of the following:
• A failure in some part of the client's quality management system relative to ISO/TS 16949:2002.
• A single observed lapse in following one item of a company's quality management system.

Randy

Super Moderator
There is no absolutly, 100%, accurate and only definition for what you are seeking...the only real definition (ISO defined) is for nonconfomity or nonconformance and the is "Non-fulfillment of a requirement". Catagorization or levels of non-conformance are left up to folks or organizations themselves to define if they think they need to do so. There is a certification body (CB) or registrar that I know of the uses the terms "Systemic (for major) or Isolated (for minor). I have also seen levels of non-conformance give a number Level 1, Level 2 and so forth. Color codes have also been used ...Yellow, Orange, Red.

What you really need to do is quit worrying about "Nits" like what the definition of a type of nonconformance is and focus on preventing the suckers to begin with.....Then it really wouldn't matter what they're called.

Top Bottom