Spur Gear DOP (Dimension Over Pins) Measurement - 2 or 3 Pins?

S

ScottyWM

One of our foreign suppliers is disagreeing with my gear DOP measurement method. I have been taught that when measuring spur gear DOP, one always uses two pins - no matter if the gear has an even or odd number of teeth. I have used this method for 15+ years without problem. (You would use three pins or balls for worm gears or screw threads.) The foreign "expert" says that you use three pins for odd number of teeth on spur gears.

I can find trade literature to back up my method. But I do not know of a standard or anything more formal to back up my position. Is there anyting out there that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Scott

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Spur Gear DOP Measurement

This isn't my field of expertise. What is a gear DOP measurement method?

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions

One of our foreign suppliers is disagreeing with my gear DOP measurement method. I have been taught that when measuring spur gear DOP, one always uses two pins - no matter if the gear has an even or odd number of teeth. I have used this method for 15+ years without problem. (You would use three pins or balls for worm gears or screw threads.) The foreign "expert" says that you use three pins for odd number of teeth on spur gears.

I can find trade literature to back up my method. But I do not know of a standard or anything more formal to back up my position. Is there anyting out there that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Scott

I am not an expert on this but according to my experience it depends on how the designer has calculated the " diameter over pins ".

In most cases I have encountered the designs were made using 2 pins but I have seen cases measured over 3 pins.
So it depends.

Best regards,

Antoine

S

ScottyWM

DOP = dimension over pins (or dimension over wires).

Two wires are placed 180° apart in the gear teeth and a measurement is made over the wires. (On odd number of teeth gears, the wires are placed as close to 180° as possible.) Gives a relatively quick and easy meausrement of size and tooth thickness at pitch diameter. We use doble flank gear testers ourselves, but the supplier does not have this capability - thus we also measure the DOP.

I have seen and can cite *many* references to using two pins. I have not seen nor can find any references to using three pins, unless it is a worm gear or screw thread.

From the Machinery's Handbook:

Attachments

• DOP4.jpg
    DOP4.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited by a moderator:
T

True Position

DOP = dimension over pins (or dimension over wires).

Two wires are placed 180° apart in the gear teeth and a measurement is made over the wires. (On odd number of teeth gears, the wires are placed as close to 180° as possible.) Gives a relatively quick and easy meausrement of size and tooth thickness at pitch diameter. We use doble flank gear testers ourselves, but the supplier does not have this capability - thus we also measure the DOP.

I have seen and can cite *many* references to using two pins. I have not seen nor can find any references to using three pins, unless it is a worm gear or screw thread.

From the Machinery's Handbook:

I looked it up in my copy of the Handbook of Dimensional Measurement. It mentions only using two pins and then says to look up the details in the Machinery Handbook. Most splines are specified as being measured over two pins.

I'd ask the foreign expert for his standards.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Look at this magazine "Gear Solutions", page 25.

That may help a little....

Stijloor.

Top Bottom