Statutory vs. Regulatory requirements - ISO 9001:2008, clause 1.1 Note 2

B

Boncho Antonov

1.1 Note 2
Statutory and regulatory requirements can be expressed as legal requirements

Hi,
Please, tell examples for only "statutory" and only "regulatory" requirements. How do they differ?
Does "legal" is the term which really combine "statutory" and "regulatory" and why?

Note: Let me say, English is not my native language... :rolleyes:

Thanks,
BA

D

D.Scott

1.1 Note 2
Statutory and regulatory requirements can be expressed as legal requirements

Hi,
Please, tell examples for only "statutory" and only "regulatory" requirements. How do they differ?
Does "legal" is the term which really combine "statutory" and "regulatory" and why?

Note: Let me say, English is not my native language... :rolleyes:

Thanks,
BA

Hi BA,

Don't worry about your English. It is just fine. It is sure a lot better than my Bulgarian.

In the context of the ISO Standard, you don't need to put an emphasis on a difference in the two terms. They could easily be stated together in the term "legal" as you say.

I look at the word "Statutory" as meaning written law. Usually in a higher position like state or country. You could pick up a law book and actually read a "statute" saying you can't (or must) do something.

I look at "regulatory" as something that is limited by an authoritative group. Like the EPA saying you can only allow a certain amount of emissions to escape the workplace.

I hope this helps.

Dave

B

Boncho Antonov

Thanks, Dave!
Yes, It helps. I am trying to understand and compare the equivalency ot terms used in our legal system with those from the standard. Probably some other examples may make things more clear... Trying also to understand why TC176 has added "statutory" in 2008 version

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks, Dave!
Yes, It helps. I am trying to understand and compare the equivalency ot terms used in our legal system with those from the standard. Probably some other examples may make things more clear... Trying also to understand why TC176 has added "statutory" in 2008 version

Welcome,

If you tell us what you or your organization is manufacturing, we should be able to give you examples related to what you do.

B

Boncho Antonov

Hi, Harry!
It's a question for principal and formal explanation only at a definitions level (apart of these in vocabularies). Not related with specific business area, but generated in the context of QMS field.
BA

tony wardle

Registered Visitor
Damned good question!

Would things such as the EU rules of origin, CE marking, the US Berry Ammendment, Wassenar Agreement and those sorts of international trade rules not constitute part of Regulatory requirements, while Statutory requirements would encompass laws within a country, pertaining to that country only??

I must say, we have been asked about these in our audits, but as yet have no clue as to the exact interpretation.

harry

Have a look at Paul's 'Agony Uncle' Column for this Month - "How much do I need to change our quality management system to meet the additional emphasis on statutory and regulatory requirements (SRR)?"

Having said all that, the new wording for SRR is essentially a clarification of existing requirements under ISO 9001:2000. Your system should already be covering these requirements and your third-party auditor should have been checking these throughout the time you have been registered.

C

chayumi

hello everyone...i like the clarifications between the two requirements... Anyways, can anybody give me samples of these legal requirements? We are actually an exporting company of fresh produce specifically bananas. Do you have any related references on this? We are now into certification of the 9001:2008 version.

harry

If you are exporting, you would have already met these requirements. Check with the relevant people in your company - export, shipping, customs.

These requirements vary from country to country but generally, many are common such as: export licensing, customs practice (declaration, inspection, clearance & others), fumigation, etc, etc.

Top Bottom