The Distribution that represents the Severity of Nonconformances

B

blody

Hello,

I wish to ask the opinion of you,quality gurus, before I start pushing my company to take an action to have a better knowledge about our own defects in production:notme:.

The Heinrich´s triangle is used to represent the severity and importance of small mistakes in order to prevent causalities in a facility.(which I was not allowed to attach a link for an example view) basically;

• 1000 minor unimportant unsafe acts can cause;
  • 100 unimportant accidents;
  • 10 important accidents
  • 1 fatality.

What I wish to ask is that; if it would be irrational to assume a similar triangle for the defects in production. basically;

• 1 customer claim
  • 10 internal claims
  • 100 scrapped parts
  • 1000 unimportant productions defects
My purpose is to show my company the risk of the loss due to poor quality in our facility.:read:

So if I assume that the distribution of the defects and the relation of them with the customer claims do have a pattern and it can be expressed with the exponential distribution, that might allow me to calculate a cost for the management in order to take an action to have a system to follow up unimportant defects and causes.

What I am asking from you is to give me your opinions on; if this sounds
  • sane:applause:
  • logical:lol:
  • irrational:bonk:
  • silly:nope:
  • stupid:whip: etc.

Thank you:thanx:

Note: with assuming this can be applied, I already have calculated a cost that definitely will make them rush around like crazy:mg:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: The distribution that represents the severity of the non conformances

Welcome to The Cove, blody.

What you described is pretty much in line with the loss causation model.
picture.php

the actual factors in between the pyramid layers tend to vary, depending on the discipline/subject at hand, i.e., quality losses, occupational safety losses, process safety losses, etc.
picture.php

But the premise remains pretty much the same. For an article expanding the concept, point your browser here.

Last edited:
B

blody

Re: The distribution that represents the severity of the non conformances

Thank you very much Sidney,

I have been searching for an article, this is perfect. :D

Top Bottom