Nonconformance Report example template or form

F

forestfan 1000

:D hi all
just new to ISO, any one know where i can drag a copy of a non conformance form from on the net, just for me to use as a guideline.
cheers

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Hi, forestfan and welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

Have you attempted to do a search here in the Cove for such a form or advice on creating one?

We have given such advice to a similiar request a few weeks back.

Or, perhaps you could show us what you have developed so far.

F

forestfan 1000

non conformance

:biglaugh: thanks both , i will try that, i would let you know what ive been doing but in truth that is not a lot so far, mainly getting up to date but thanks all the same

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
forestfan 1000 said:
:biglaugh: thanks both , i will try that, i would let you know what ive been doing but in truth that is not a lot so far, mainly getting up to date but thanks all the same

Understandable...I know that I was first introduced to ISO and concepts of Quality, it was all rather overwhelming. Thank goodness I was riding my bike to work...the 8km bike ride home (all up hill) was a great stress reliever! :)

So, let's say you've done your search (or even if you haven't)...what do you think should be on the form? Just sit back, close your eyes and think "I have a problem...how do I fix it?" What steps do you take when you attempt to fix your own problems in the real world?

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Great advice so far. Just MHO:

My "favorite" thoughts on nonconformance forms:

1. don't make the form so complicated that no one will use it.
2. it's OK to have more than one form -- maybe one for internal nonconformance and one for external nonconformance
3. try to make the nonconformance tag and the form be the same piece or paper (saves time and money)
4. on the same line as #3, the form can be one side of one sheet. The top half can be the explanation of nonconformance and the bottom half can be disposition. Then this form also serves as the record of Material Review Board (MRB).
5. operate on the KIS principle. (Keep it simple!)

Here's an example:

Attachments

• generic Nonconforming Tag.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,120
F

forestfan 1000

Non Conformance

HI Again,
so what do i think should be on a form, well i always work on a basis of : what, why, how,when, who,
so on that theory i suppose we have to determine a fault has been found,
why the fault has arisen , how is it to be corrected, when is is to be completed by, and by whom. that is my interpretation of it, so if you think im way of the line im going throw it all in the bin,
thanks for your help :thanx:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
forestfan 1000 said:
HI Again,
so what do i think should be on a form, well i always work on a basis of : what, why, how,when, who,
so on that theory i suppose we have to determine a fault has been found,
why the fault has arisen , how is it to be corrected, when is is to be completed by, and by whom. that is my interpretation of it, so if you think im way of the line im going throw it all in the bin,
thanks for your help :thanx:

Just me playing devil's advocate here (because I love that job...I really should have that title on my business card! :eek: ) what constitutes a "fault"? Is it possible to varying degrees of "faultness"?

Not knowing about your organization or products/services, let me just that at my company we can make bad product...but the level of bad product resolution is determined on (a) amount of bad product made and (b) characteristics of the bad product.

If only x amount of product had a characterisitic y, then we might simply disposition the product accordingly and get on with our lives.

If, however, x amount of product had a charasteristic z or X amount of product (where X > x) had characterisitic y, then we might require root cause analysis, and so on.

To help us out, we have a guidelines matrix that tells us the possible bad things that could happen and to what level it must happen in order for us to take the appropriate action. Afterall, no point in killing a mosquito with a flame-thrower, right? Just as you wouldn't go after an alligator with only a toothpick.

Keep in mind, as well, that when you do the root cause section, people know to look for the true reason behind the abnormality...not just the symptoms. The old adage of "ask 'why' five times" is a good rule of thumb. Why? "Operator unaware of new process." Why? "Operator not trained." Why? ... well, you get the idea.

Qualitygoddess is absolutely correct in ensuring user-friendliness of the process, too! Prior to my starting, the form used here was 3 pages in length! No one wanted to report bad product. The form was then modified to 1 page to keep the users happy while ensuring the tools were there to adequately address the abnormality. It is now 2 pages in length and electronic. It suits the needs of Business Management System, allowing for abnormalities in the Environmental or Safety side of things, has a fishbone diagram (in case the 5 'why' approach doesn't work), and has drop-down menus that change depending on the selections checked-off at the beginning of the form.

W

wslabey

Generic NCR form

Here is an Excel based template you can start with for your company. It still relies up codes to define standard defect, cause and corrective action codes. You'll need to develop those for your business and product your produce. I know of no generic list.

Worksheet one is DEFECT. It is written to identify defects. A part can have multiple defects.

Worskeet two is Cause and Corrective Action

Workhsheet three is Disposition which can be completed prior to defining root cause and corrective action.

We just moved the system on-line so everything can be completed on line and routed to the affected parties. On-line system is undergoing beta-test.

Typically, a defect is found on the floor or in the inspection room. The person finding it enters the information and it is submitted to the QA manager for review and approval. (Incomplete info is the most like reason for it not being accepted.) Once accepted it get routed to the MRB for disposition and person responsible for identifying the root cause and corrective action. QA approves and accepts the root cause and corrective action

Attachments

• Generic NCR form.xls
    32 KB · Views: 2,124
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom