How to establish Quality Objectives per TS 16949 Clause 5.4.1 Requirements

roseking

Registered
:agree:

According to 5.4.1 of TS16949 standard:
--Top management shall ensure that quality objectives, including those needed to meet requirements for production (see7.1 a), are established at relevant functions and levels within the organization. The quality objectives shall be measurable and consistent with the quality policy.

Our company identifies 32 processes as following,

Management Processes
M1: Management Responsibility
M2: Business Plan
M3: Internal Audit
M4: Management Review

Customer Oriented Processes
C1: Contract Review
C2: Enquiry processing
C3: Order / Forecast
C4: Process Design and Development
C5: Product and Process Verification
C6: Production and Planning
C7: Delivery
C8: Customer Feedback

Support Processes
S1: Document Control
S2: Control of records
S3: Training
S4: Infrastructure
S5: Change Control
S6: Purchasing
S7: Supplier Monitoring and Development
S8: Machine and Equipment Maintenance
S9: Tooling Management
S10: Identification and Traceability
S11: Customer Property
S12: Preservation of product
S13: Control of Inspection and Measuring Equipment
S14: Process Monitoring and Measurement
S15: Product Monitoring and Measurement
S16: Control of nonconforming product
S17: Data Analysis
S18: Corrective and Preventive Action
S19: Continual Improvement
S20: Customer Satisfaction

Our company set the quality objective as following,
1.CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:
CUSTOMER’S SATISFACTION ≥ 90 POINTS;
2.DELIVERY PERFORMANCE:
100% ON-TIME DELIVERY
3.DEFECTIVE RATE:
PARTS DEFECTIVE RATE ≤ 200 PPM
4. COST OF POOR QUALITY
COST OF POOR QUALITY ≤ 20,000 RMB/ MONTH

Our company also establishes KPI for some Section.

My problem is:
1. How to understand relevant functions and levels within the organization? It refers to section or process?
2. Need we establish objective for all 32 Process?
3. Need we establish objective for all section?
4. What is the relationship among quality objective/section objective/process objective and Company KPI?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
:agree:

According to 5.4.1 of TS16949 standard:
--Top management shall ensure that quality objectives, including those needed to meet requirements for production (see7.1 a), are established at relevant functions and levels within the organization. The quality objectives shall be measurable and consistent with the quality policy.

Our company identifies 32 processes as following,

Management Processes
M1: Management Responsibility
M2: Business Plan
M3: Internal Audit
M4: Management Review

Customer Oriented Processes
C1: Contract Review
C2: Enquiry processing
C3: Order / Forecast
C4: Process Design and Development
C5: Product and Process Verification
C6: Production and Planning
C7: Delivery
C8: Customer Feedback

Support Processes
S1: Document Control
S2: Control of records
S3: Training
S4: Infrastructure
S5: Change Control
S6: Purchasing
S7: Supplier Monitoring and Development
S8: Machine and Equipment Maintenance
S9: Tooling Management
S10: Identification and Traceability
S11: Customer Property
S12: Preservation of product
S13: Control of Inspection and Measuring Equipment
S14: Process Monitoring and Measurement
S15: Product Monitoring and Measurement
S16: Control of nonconforming product
S17: Data Analysis
S18: Corrective and Preventive Action
S19: Continual Improvement
S20: Customer Satisfaction

Our company set the quality objective as following,
1.CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:
CUSTOMER’S SATISFACTION ≥ 90 POINTS;
2.DELIVERY PERFORMANCE:
100% ON-TIME DELIVERY
3.DEFECTIVE RATE:
PARTS DEFECTIVE RATE ≤ 200 PPM
4. COST OF POOR QUALITY
COST OF POOR QUALITY ≤ 20,000 RMB/ MONTH

Our company also establishes KPI for some Section.

My problem is:
1. How to understand relevant functions and levels within the organization? It refers to section or process?
2. Need we establish objective for all 32 Process?
3. Need we establish objective for all section?
4. What is the relationship among quality objective/section objective/process objective and Company KPI?

Hi,
only on opinion of mine.
it seems to be too much to have 32 processes in your QMS.
Lots of them could not be considered as such, but only as activities ( I mean S17, S18 , S19 etc...). You can also think to embody some activities in an unique major process. I see nothing ,for example, related to new product /technology introduction
Each process can have indicators and objectives but they have to be functional to higher level quality objectives, based upon business plan and quality policy.
For instance, if you have production area with higher level of scrap, this indicator will be included in cost of poor quality as a subindicator ( or KPI) of an higher level KPI.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Last edited:
R

ram4302

Hello

It is my suggestion.

You need to define the Organisation objectives that would address the customer expectations and requirements.

After that you can cascade into individual processes.

qusys

Hello

It is my suggestion.

You need to define the Organisation objectives that would address the customer expectations and requirements.

After that you can cascade into individual processes.

Consider that ISO TS clause is 5.4.1.1 ( in addition to 5.4.1 that is pertinent to ISO 9001) , in related note (not prescriptive), it is reported what you are saying as well as that the quality objectives should be reached within an established time frame:bigwave:

Last edited:

qusys

Thank you for your quick response.

Appreciated your thanks, Roseking.
I've changed my post for a typing. I would like to share with you that 32 processes seem too much in a QMS.I've seen many organizations and , generally speaking, they did not identify all these processes. I would like to highlight again that some of the identified processes by your organization could be considered activities or sub processes of an higher level process.
Thanks again and available for further discussion. I would like to hear the opinion of other Covers, expert in ISO TS as consultants:bigwave:

Last edited:
R

Rob Mcfee

Hi Rose

Great post, i see a lot of companies going down the road of trying to lots of processes, this always seems like a good approach when starting out but can be become extremely difficult to manage over time.

When defining processes think about the current departments you already have in your business. Try to define your processes around the organisational model and not around the requirements of the standard. A good process model should reflect your business and be unique to how your organisation functions. Ignore the standard, in fact put it in a draw and forget it exists, focus upon your business and how the major departments interface with each other, once you have defined these processes and interfaces then go back to the standard and look to see which processes are responsible for which requirements.

For example do you really have a identification and traceability process, is this the responsibility of any person within your organisation? You may well have a warehouse, maybe shipping and receiving, a production area etc. all these processes will have part of the responsibility for identification and traceability, but in itself it is unlikely it is a standa alone process.

roseking

Registered
Hi Rose

Great post, i see a lot of companies going down the road of trying to lots of processes, this always seems like a good approach when starting out but can be become extremely difficult to manage over time.

When defining processes think about the current departments you already have in your business. Try to define your processes around the organisational model and not around the requirements of the standard. A good process model should reflect your business and be unique to how your organisation functions. Ignore the standard, in fact put it in a draw and forget it exists, focus upon your business and how the major departments interface with each other, once you have defined these processes and interfaces then go back to the standard and look to see which processes are responsible for which requirements.

For example do you really have a identification and traceability process, is this the responsibility of any person within your organisation? You may well have a warehouse, maybe shipping and receiving, a production area etc. all these processes will have part of the responsibility for identification and traceability, but in itself it is unlikely it is a standa alone process.
Great explanation!

Top Bottom