AS9102 FAI Bubble Drawings

C

CompositeGeekQC

I've had a request to provide bubble drawings along with a First Article Inspection and I'm not entirely sure what all that entails? Any guidance on how to produce these would be much appreciated. Examples, input, procedure, et cetera...Thanks.

B

BadgerMan

It's just a marked up drawing to show how the design characterisitics (dimensions, notes, etc.) correlate with the items noted/listed on your FAI form. As an example, if you have a .5 dimension listed several places on your FAI form, you need the "bubble drawing" to know which individual characterisitic on the drawing it is refering to.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CompositeGeekQC

Well, in that case I understand completely. I suppose I've just never heard it referenced as a "bubble drawing." Thank you!

B

BadgerMan

Yeah, I have always called them "balloon drawings".

You are welcome.

A

alspread

Don't forget to "balloon" the specs too.

By the way, there is software out there designed specifically for this.

Do a web search for a software called DISCUS for numbering prints.

Good luck

T

TMSQAM

Attached is a written procedure we have for bubbling a drawing. You do not mention the requirements for the 1st article however. Does it have to be in accordance with AS9102 (Aerospace Standard)? There is a lot more to this if that is the case.:)

Attachments

• WI 4.2-002 Rev.0 QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTION RECORD.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,621
T

TMSQAM

One other thing you must do:

If you have a char such as .500 R 10X specified on the drawing, you have to list all 10 as individual char in the report, i.e., .500 R (1), .500 R (2), etc. 10X. In other words, they want to see that actual measured value for each radius.

F

Frank T.

Sorry, I see you are talking AS9102. Do you have the correct forms? If not, you will have to purchase them (copywrited)

Free copies of the actual forms pertaining to AS9102A can be found on the AAQG website, as well as FAI training. The actual standard, AS9102A is copyrighted and will have to be purchased.

The AAQG website also has a FAQ page pertaining to AS9102A.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jncope

There is software written just for bubbling (aka ballooning) drawings in many CAD formats and PDF too. InspectionXpert has a standalone version and integrations into most of the large CAD systems (Catia, Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc...). It can create ballooned PDFs from your drawing and I am pretty sure that they include the AS9102 and PPAP forms out of the box but you could check their web site to find out for sure. Do a search for InspectionXpert.

Top Bottom