In-Process vs. Final Inspection

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
"That's not my job!" comments were heard daily at one of my previous companies, either followed or preceded by "see Joe Bloggs" or some other not made up name. Now I work in a company where there is so much movement around the company by a multi-skilled workforce.

Note: I split this discussion from the thread How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS. It was not really on topic, and deserved a thread of its own.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS

"That's not my job!" comments were heard daily at one of my previous companies, either followed or preceded by "see Joe Bloggs" or some other not made up name. Now I work in a company where there is so much movement around the company by a multi-skilled workforce.
Congratulations on landing with an organization that "Gets it!"

TPMB4

Unfortunately Wes they don't always get it. We don't hear that phrase and the workforce has become multi-skilled, but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!" Even the bosses input doesn't dampen their view of quality role and the change from control to assurance.

But I thank you for your compliment on behalf of my company (for I will take it as that).

Last edited:

but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!"
Any possibility to make it their job to check their own work? That usually changes that tune in a hurry and besides, it should be their task in the first place...

/Claes

TPMB4

It is their job and they do it but they still think it is down to Quality guy to do a final inspection. It could be their way to get themselves off the hook if something got through, cue comments like "well you didn't check it!!". I shudder when someone uses the defence "that's your job, that is! I make 'em, you check 'em!" A rare occurrence but does happen. In some ways it is my job since I guess if you error proofed a process it takes away a lot of the need for inspections (visual or gauged).

Sorry, but this is a little off topic.

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Unfortunately Wes they don't always get it. We don't hear that phrase and the workforce has become multi-skilled, but there are some resistant people who still adhere to quality control from decades ago. They see anyone in a quality role as being there to check their work. If there is a NC then their first response is "well you didn't check that well did you?!!" Even the bosses input doesn't dampen their view of quality role and the change from control to assurance.

But I thank you for your compliment on behalf of my company (for I will take it as that).

Any possibility to make it their job to check their own work? That usually changes that tune in a hurry and besides, it should be their task in the first place...

/Claes
I agree with Claes that operators should check their own work. I've written about this on a number of occasions. Back in March, I wrote a post which included links to some of those earlier posts
Regular Cove readers may be familiar with my frequent rants against "Kwality Kops" (those Keystone Kop types who relish their power to say "gotcha" when they detect a nonconformance.)

Ideally, there is no "us versus them" rivalry in the workplace. All should be happy to work toward a common goal of a more efficient, profitable environment.

I have written previously that our Quality guys did not perform routine inspections - they designed the inspection protocol for each part and trained operators, interfaced with customers and suppliers, and acted as "court of last resort" when issues arose.

In my own operation, I took the police action out of the quality function and had a much happier workforce. The following post is an overview description of what we did. Perhaps you might glean some insight into helping your organization work in cooperation instead of conflict.
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.ph...21&postcount=9

I went into more detail in this series of posts:
Wes Bucey on an efficient shop - empowerment (This is a single post (#18) in a longer thread - the url leads directly to the post - it is associated with a follow-up in post #20)
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105469&postcount=18
Wes Bucey on quoting and empowerment (This is a single post (#20) in a longer thread - the url leads directly to the post)
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=105566&postcount=20

In process and final inspection:

Re: Inspection Dimensional Check Sheets - Over 500 part numbers

Who inspects?
I, too, ran a shop where primary responsibility...

Control Charts
In my high tech machining business (1990 -2000),...

What makes sense?
In point of fact, I have seen several operations...
A big part of why the schemes worked in my operation was because as the top guy, I was personally involved in making it happen. A key part of my strategy was to get EVERYONE involved in the decision making by putting EVERYONE in production on the MRB with concomitant authority and responsibility. Empowerment along with deployment of Deming's System of Profound Knowledge really DOES work.

Maybe there is something in what worked for me that will strike a responsive chord in your top bosses if you expose them to it.

It is their job and they do it but they still think it is down to Quality guy to do a final inspection.
If they use final inspection as an excuse, maybe it's time to retrain them and remove the final inspection? Inspecting the same thing twice is a mug's game anyway...

/Claes

Q

qpled

If they use final inspection as an excuse, maybe it's time to retrain them and remove the final inspection? Inspecting the same thing twice is a mug's game anyway...

/Claes
mug's game??? I think I know what you mean but please explain - thanks!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

/Claes

The idea of inspection "after" production is the true "mug's game" (a non productive pastime for fools [mugs]), while in-process inspection and SPC is for smart folks and organizations.

The mantra for years and years has been Deming's Point # 3
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3."Cease dependence on inspection". If variation is reduced, there is no need to inspect manufactured items for defects, because there won't be any. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Whups... Sorry about that: I tend to pick a lot of idioms up from the Britons around me :notme: A mug's game is some useless activity which leads you nowhere. What Wes said, basically.

What I am on about is that inspecting the same thing twice often leads to the rather undesired result that both instances botch the job, because: In the first case "the others will check it" and in the latter stage "the others have already checked it". On top of that, it is also a waste of resources. Finally, as Wes says, there is Deming's Point # 3 to consider.

/Claes

Top Bottom