Definition System Knock Down - Definition

T

Ted Schmitt

Re: System Knock Down

If I´m not mistaken it has to do with receiving ready parts from a manufacturer and the organization only assembles them.

Used in automakers. Ex. Honda Japan sends all the components to Brazil and Honda Brazil just puts them together and paints (the painting process nationalizes the car).

B

Bunny

A coworker used to term yesterday in a conversation related to outsourcing manufacturing. He was referring to purchasing finished assemblies and performing the final assemble and test steps here. Since I have never heard it before, I thought I'd do my own research and I found the same information you did, hence my reaching out to this knowledgeable group.

B

Bunny

Do other industries use different terms for the same operation? What would the medical device industry call it?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Do other industries use different terms for the same operation? What would the medical device industry call it?

There's a freight-lading classification called "KDF" (for knock-down flat) that may be related; it has to do with billing discounts for items that are shipped unassembled and thus take up less space in trailers and freight cars. A good example is furniture that's shipped in a "flat pack" and assembled either by the retailer or the end user.

If I were you I'd ask the person who used the term, because he might have meant something other than what a standard definition might mean.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

In our automotive market, we use:
CBU to denote completly built up - meaning the car is imported as a completely assembled unit and
CKD (completely knocked down) to denote those that were assembled locally with imported parts.

Top Bottom