Preventing Set Up Parts from getting in with Finished Goods

larry hopperrath

Registered Visitor
We are a metal stamping plant, mostly progressive dies. On occasion, we have had some set up parts get in with some finished goods. We have tried marking the top and bottom of coils, training until i am blue in the face. What have some of you kind people done to keep this from happening?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Set Up Parts

We are a metal stamping plant, mostly progressive dies. On occasion, we have had some set up parts get in with some finished goods. We have tried marking the top and bottom of coils, training until i am blue in the face. What have some of you kind people done to keep this from happening?

Do you need to keep the set-up parts for subsequent operations? If not, have them tossed immediately. I work for a sheet metal fabricator, and we frequently use set-up parts from the punch press as set-up parts for the press brake. If you need to keep them, can you place them in a red basket or bucket?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Tried that, I cant get the die setters to do what they are supposed to!

OUCH!!!!!

What does management say to this? Do you have a way to trace how many of these get to the customer and what this is costing your company in dollars?

OK - lets try this another way - what do the die setter suggest?

Sounds like a tough situation, Larry.

qcman

Registered Visitor
New plant rule - All setup parts are to be spray painted red and are not to be placed with finished goods.If rule is broken disipline procedures will follow. Write this rule on a sheet of paper with a list of all persons involved and have them sign next to their name indicating they have been made aware of and understand the new rule - store as record.. I use disipline as a last resort but by the sounds of it your there. I have had problems along the same lines so we attach a large yellow setup tag to the piece.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
No system works at its best unless it is followed. I recommend strict disciplinary action againts those employees who donot follow these procedures.

Btw, have you tried to talk to them why they dont follow the procedures ?

New plant rule - All setup parts are to be spray painted red and are not to be placed with finished goods.
That seems like a very sensible way to solve the problem, but I still don't understand why this problem occurs... So, for the time being, I think I'll join CarolX and Qualityalways in suggesting a discussion with the operators in question. Let's get a proper problem description before any changes are made:
OK - lets try this another way - what do the die setter suggest?
Btw, have you tried to talk to them why they dont follow the procedures ?

/Claes

Top Bottom