Internet distance training voice over IP (VOIP) for internet synchronous training

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
I am looking for a low cost voice over IP (VOIP) method for doing internet synchronous training.

I have done several searches and there is a large number of companies offering services, but they tend to be oriented to video conferencing and the prices tend to be quite high.

The two issues with the free messenger type of programs are firewalls, and the number of people that can use voice at the same time.

We have also looked at dial in (800) conference call phone numbers, but these run about $0.05 to $0.10 per person. With the length of the class ranging from 30 to 48 hours, and the number of students (below) this can get quite expensive.

The class size I am considering is about 15 students, possibly up to 20.

Any suggestions for companies that provide this type of service?

Wes R.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Check Local University

Have you contacted the local university? These campuses often have some of the latest e-learning technology, and will often rent the service for a reasonable price.

The other thing I have done in the past: using an on-line meeting service with real-time updates. It was $50 or $60 per month for unlimited hours. I used one where I posted a powerpoint presentation, had a live whiteboard superimposed on the presentation, and we could all access a chat room for questions. If your trainees can locate in 2 or 3 offices at multiple sites, you can sometimes achieve the "voice" through conference calling.

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
Thank you for your response. Yes, we did talk with two colleges here, they use a program called Blackboard. One of the schools will lease space, but they want a percentage of the class fees.

There are a few of the 15 students that could be combined, but we would still have at least 10 different sites. The telephone charges for the conference calls runs about $2500 to $3300, depending upon the number of students, for the planned course hours of 33.

Some of the VOIP that are free, either only support up to 5 people in the conference, or they are choppy in the sound.

The upper end cost wise programs work well, but we would need to charge nearly three times the planned student cost in order to break even with the classes.

Wes R.

Top Bottom