Job Decision Making - Post Interview Followup

C

Cognizant

I had a Job interview (with 5 big people)on Jan 23rd at plant location which was paid by the campany itself..I gave a follow up call on Jan 27 and came to Know that they r interviewing couple more people following week. After couple weeks on 02/10 I called them again and found out that decision was not made yet. I left a msg on phone , emailed the VP (key person in hiring) showing my strengths and Interest towards the Job on 02/10. In the mean time I had another Job which has to be postponed to feb 27th because of this Job's decison which I like the most. I dunno wat else to do.

I emailed VP to let me know the status of the Job at his earliest convenience...Still I have'nt heard from him....

As u guys suggested I dont want to use other job as the leverage on this Job decison making.
I called VP couple times today which went straight to msg but i dint leave any msg.

Wat s the good way / approach to know the decison.

I am planning to Call HR as well as VP tomorrow..what do u suggest???Please advice......

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Cognizant said:
I had a Job interview (with 5 big people)on Jan 23rd at plant location which was paid by the campany itself..I gave a follow up call on Jan 27 and came to Know that they r interviewing couple more people following week. After couple weeks on 02/10 I called them again and found out that decision was not made yet. I left a msg on phone , emailed the VP (key person in hiring) showing my strengths and Interest towards the Job on 02/10. In the mean time I had another Job which has to be postponed to feb 27th because of this Job's decison which I like the most. I dunno wat else to do.

I emailed VP to let me know the status of the Job at his earliest convenience...Still I have'nt heard from him....

As u guys suggested I dont want to use other job as the leverage on this Job decison making.
I called VP couple times today which went straight to msg but i dint leave any msg.

Wat s the good way / approach to know the decison.

I am planning to Call HR as well as VP tomorrow..what do u suggest???Please advice......
OK, for those of you scoring at home, here are the totals thus far:

1-27: Followup call
2-10: Followup call
2-10: E-mail to VP
Date uncertain: E-mail to VP
2-15: Two unanswered followup calls
2-16 (Tentative): Phone call to HR
Phone call to VP

This is all in addition to a thank-you letter immediately after the interview. Cognizant, do you think it might be time to back off a little? If you call these people tomorrrow, what could you possibly tell them that they don't already know? I think that at one time or another most of us have had to sit on the edge of our chairs waiting for a phone call from a prospective employer, and I know it's not easy, but you really need to back off at this point.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
OK! We've all been positive up to this point, but I see Jim and Randy are starting to lose patience and they aren't even in the direct line of fire.

Here's some pointers from the hiring side of the desk:
  1. No matter what YOU (the candidate) think, I (the employer) am in charge. Any candidate that tries to "manage" me by keeping up a constant barrage of hounding me (my interpretation of more than 2 follow-up communications in less than three weeks) is proving to be the kind of pesky employee I don't want.
  2. If you are not using impeccable English spelling and grammar in your communications to me (versus typical email shorthand of "u" for "you"), you are giving me second thoughts about your ability to write documents and correspondence relating to my business.
  3. If you refuse to accept an answer that I have other things to do before I make a decision, that tells me you may not be very good at understanding instructions on the job.
Frankly, if the communications you have posted here are similar to your communications with this employer, each new communication reduces your probability of being hired.

The problem for us here in the Cove is that we haven't experienced you in person. You may have put on a brilliant show in front of these folks in person. The other side of that coin is that you may be completely deluding yourself about the impact you made in the interviews with these folks. We simply don't have enough data to form a worthwhile opinion about your interview skills, but I've seen enough to tell me your written communication needs refining if the posts you have written are typical of how you write and make your case.

A

Aaron Lupo

Not to be mean but it sounds like they are not going to hire you. On the other hand if they were considering it they may not now as you appear to have made a nuisance of yourself. I have to agree with everything that Wes said.

It may be the job you really want but not the job you are going to get. Heck if we all got the jobs we wanted and applied for it would be a much happier work force.

My advice let it go.

E

ezorangee

Time to move on

If I deal in the area of Quality, proper communication is required. I agree...first is being patient. When you are anxious to receive a telephone call, minutes seem like days, days like weeks, etc.

If I am getting no feedback and communication.....I am gone.

B

Baldrick

I agree with the points made above. It can be frustrating - if they're not going to hire me, why can't they tell me?

In my experience, these delays often indicate that they have offered the job to someone else and are waiting for him/her to accept or decline the offer. It is quite embarrassing to go back and offer the job to the second choice candidate after you've told him/her they weren't successful.

C

Cognizant

Noo....No I never do those spelling mistakes in any formal letter I check atleast 4-5 times before sending the letters to the employers ..I had this problem in earlier stages and I rectified it .......

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Move onto company #2. Ask yourself this question, "Do you want to work for a company or person who cannot give you feedback and/or make a decision?" Seems like they are stringing you along waiting for another candidate to accept their offer. If that candidate rejects them, you might be #2 choice. Move on!

R

ralphsulser

I agree with the above comments about moving on. Obviously they either have asituation described by Steven, or they just don't want to actually tell you that you are not still a candidate. Keep going in your search where you have an opportunity.

Top Bottom