Approving Suppliers under 7.4.1 - Approved Suppliers List - ISO 9001:2000

J

jcunningham

Hi Guys, I am new to quality and would like to ask a couple of quick questions.

1. Is it an ISO requirement for us to have an Approved Suppliers List? and
2. If so, does it mean that our suppliers must be ISO accredited?

Many Thanks

Big Jim

Admin
Re: Approving Suppliers under 7.4.1

Many Thanks

1. No. But it is awkward to function without one.
2. No. You do need to control them. The control needs to be appropriate for the nature of what you are purchasing and how it effect final product. It could be argued that ISO registered companies would be easier to control.

Think of the ISO standard as a rule book. If you are both using the same rule book (and applying it effectively), it is easier to understand each other. Think of going to the park on a Saturday afternoon to play ball. You have softball in mind. After gathering other players, you discover that some are trying to play soccer, some are trying to play football, a few are trying to play softball, and a few are trying to play hardball. How functional do you think those relationships will be?

S

spacemanR

Jcunningham,
our current status,all part suppliers,package material suppliers and oil (used on product)suppliers are on ASL.
the euipments/fixture supplier need to be evaluated and join biding.
other service supplier has not covered by QMS.
In my opinion,it is good practice all suppliers are covered by IMS .

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

I have moved these posts to the ISO9001 forum since it addresses the requirement of ISO9001 and not AS9100.

Last edited:
J

JaneB

Many Thanks

1. No.
2. No.

RE. 1 There's a widespread and wrong belief to the contrary. I completely disagree that it's 'awkward to function without one' - many of my clients function very happily and efficiently without one.

'The List' was & is simply ONE way that many organisations chose to implement a particular requirement. The List seems to have arisen because the Standard was originally focussed only on manufacturing. A list often makes very little sense in a non-manufacturing based environment, and in any case, there are other ways of doing it.

Re. 2, some organisations decide to make ISO certification their criteria. It's your choice. If I had to choose between 2 suppliers, all other things were equal, and one had ISO and one didn't, I'd probably choose the ISO one. But only then.

Top Bottom