TS 16949 Corrective Action Impact - Difference between Preventive Action and CI?

A

Audrey

Corrective Action Impact

I know this subject has probably been raised before, but I have not been here long...
I just read TS16949 standard regarding preventive action and corrective action and this is what I understand:
When you have got a fault and you rectify it, it is a corrective action.
When you have a similar product and you apply the same fix to prevent the same failure (lessons learnt), it is not a preventive action but a corrective action impact.
And then what is the difference between PA and CI?
Any thoughts??? I have got to admit I am a bit confused....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Audrey, We do not have nor have I read the TS16949 standard. Our current system is ISO 9002:1994. We do not use the phrase 'corrective action impact' only CA & PA.

We do apply 'lesson learned' knowledge to preventive action, because we did not go out of spec, nor was there a trend identifying we were heading out..rather only an improvement that precludes a possible failure. Example:Replacing friction roller type on all lines after the larger product had a problem. Other lines were not affected, nor were smaller product impacted...but to avoid the possibility...we upgraded all. So to us this would be identified as CA on the problem line/products and PA on all others.

The organization's documented prodedure should specify the appropriate sources of information that would be analyzed in order to detect and eliminate potential causes of nonconformities. These sources could include, but are not limited to: Nonconformity records; Results of Customer Satisfaction Surveys; Field, service, or customer complaints; Sub-contractor problems; Observations by personnel; Audit observations; Inspection & test records, Process monitoring results; etc...

Best wishes,

F

Fire Girl

Audrey

Hello. I just went thru this with my registrar a few months ago. I asked them to clarify the difference between Corrective & Preventive Action. I have copied the e-mail they sent me clearing this us. Check it out

"Corrective Action: Action taken to eliminate the cause of nonconformities
in order to prevent recurrence.

Preventive Action: Action taken to eliminate the causes of potential
nonconformities in order to prevent their occurrence.

Preventive Actions are typically generated through trend analysis of
processes and product related issues. They can also come about from
benchmarking and hypothetical situations that you have thought of but have
not yet happened.

Preventive Actions can also be demonstrated in applications like error
proofing."

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Fire Girl

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
CORRECTIVE ACTION: used to eliminate a current problem. More than likely thru root cause.(replace line leaking oil on parts)
CORRECTIVE ACTION IMPACT: used to eliminate problems in other areas that could face same problem,learn from our mistakes ( replace line on all machines that have the same type).
PREVENTIVE ACTION: identification of potential problems before they occur for action now. Action is usually based on facts data(FEMA is a good source (we hear gas is going up to $5.00 a gal, so we fill all of our tanks)
Many companies confuse the later two. All of the above result in continiual improvement of the QMS

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> CORRECTIVE ACTION IMPACT: used to eliminate problems in
> other areas that could face same problem,learn from our
> mistakes ( replace line on all machines that have the same
> type).

Thanks! :D

T

travi95

Re: Corrective Action Impact

The difference between Corrective Action Impact (CAI) & Preventive Action (PA) is based on the relationship of the entity. If an organisation has multi-location multiple units and in one unit you find a problem and take a Corrective Action (CA) and if the similar problem is possible in other units and you deploy the same action in the other units:

a) It will be called as CAI if the other unit is part of the group and has a common QMS certification

b) It will be called as PA if the unit has an independent QMS certification.

Top Bottom