What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors

D

Dawn

What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors.
Our list is extremely lengthy, including box companies, Starret gage suppliers (buying from a catalog), etc.
Can anyone specify exactly what we evaluate and what we don't?
Thanks, Dawn

D

Dawn

Kevin,
Thank you for the input.
I was considering using only material providers, calibration labs, and secondary machinist companies. Think that will work?

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Dawn,

You're welcome. Looks like a good start. Don't forget to include consulting sources you may be using and your registrar. On my way out the door, but I'll try to visit here tomorrow if something else comes to mind. Good luck.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Dawn,

Some thoughts on an Approved Supplier List. You should probably include:

-Vendor's On-time Delivery Rating (4.6.2.2)
-Vendor's Quality Rating (4.6.2.a, Quality System, or, an expected registration date and current Quality Rating)
-All suppliers required by your Customers (4.6.1.1)

I would also:

-Break down suppliers by type (ie. direct impact to product, indirect impact, no impact; or product, service, non-product). Be careful when doing this. Connections may be difficult to determine.
-Create a column to note the Vendor's Development rating (4.6.2.1). Keep in mind the second note of 4.6.2.1. Some type of rating system would probably make prioritization easier.
-I might include a column to note if Regulatory agencies apply (4.6.1.2).
-I might include a column to track premium freight. You will need to track it, but you may want to do it elsewhere (ie. Cost of Quality Reporting).

Keep in mind that the intent of the QS requirement is to optimize your system needs (shorten the list to reduce costs of processing for example) and to develop a strong supplier base.

D

Deb Weissler

Dawn,

We treat productive and non-productive suppliers (subcontractors) differently re. evaluations. Using Kevin's format for production parts suppliers, we have developed an abbreviated method for suppliers of packaging, outside services (plating, heat treating) and outside laboratories. Here we utilize a self-survey that is then reviewed by a cross-functional team and that subcontractor is then rated according to their survey info. This is covered under a separate procedure from the one pertaining to production suppliers.

Top Bottom