The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog   Elsmar.com Forum Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
diary, ts 16949 - automotive quality system standard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11th January 2007, 12:47 PM
Icy Mountain

External Audits, Football, Coffee and Blood Pressure

We just finished Periodic Audit #3 by DNV. Before I post the results I have some humor:
The first day of the audit (Tuesday), I had to leave my auditor with my boss while I went through a "Health and Wellness" screening, one of our insurance company's way of finding issues early in order to hold down costs.

Part of the screening included a blood pressure check and mine was 138/80. The current guidelines put anything between 130 and 140 as "pre-hypertensive" so you get urged to see your doctor for preventive action. I pulled out my Red Cross card and pointed out that over the last 12 months, I have 6 blood pressure data points from screenings before a blood donation with an average of 120/78, 114/74 min and 130/80 max (ever the quality engineer).
Nurse: Icy, what would you say is causing today's reading?
Icy: Let's see, I stayed up until 2AM last night eating chips, drinking beer and watching my beloved Buckeyes get creamed in the Championship. I got up at 6AM and I have had 3 cups of coffee instead of the usual one so I could be alert since I am in the middle of an ISO/TS external audit. AND, right now the auditor is talking to my boss and I am not there to make sure that doesn't go into the weeds.
Nurse: Well, considering all of that, I'd say you handle stress in your life pretty well.

Sponsored Links
Old 11th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Icy Mountain

External Auditor's Response to Blood Pressure

My registrar's auditor (a.k.a. He Who Makes Coffee Nervous) responded with this Draft Report:
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Health Advisory: Audits raise blood pressure. 1/9/2007 AP-wire Rjk

Scientific evidence now proves that audits raise blood pressure significantly. Be advised for your own safety when involved in this potentially dangerous activity. The US Center for Disease Control offers the following precautions if and when you are involved:

1) Avoid conflict and any excess stimulation with the auditor.

2) Emergency equipment such as portable cardiac defibrillators and oxygen are advised before, during, and after audits.

3) Remain calm and utilize the Socratic method of answering a question with a question to always seek the truth.

4) Do not schedule health fairs during audits as this causes high blood pressure and emotional stress for employees.

5) Drink plenty of fluids, avoid bright lights, and stay out of the heat during all interrogations.

6) If you do not know the answer to a question, remain silent.

7) Calmly mention the fact that you are sick with a highly contagious virus as you are introduced to the auditor.

8) Seek first aid immediately if needed.

9) Wear suitable personal protective equipment and attire.

10) Remind the auditor of their obligation to the health, safety, and well being of humanity.
Sponsored Links

Old 11th January 2007, 12:58 PM
Jim Wynne

Re: External Auditor's Response to Blood Pressure

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Icy Mountain View Post

My registrar's auditor (a.k.a. He Who Makes Coffee Nervous) responded with this Draft Report:
I'd like to know what constitutes "stimulation with the auditor" and then how to tell when it has become excessive.
Old 11th January 2007, 01:01 PM
Icy Mountain

Re: An ISO/TS16949 Registration Maintenance Diary

Management Review in December 2006 went smoothly and there where only extremely positive indicators for the QMS.

Two day Periodic Audit on January 9 & 10, 2007 results:
Over a dozen positive indicators
Three Opportunities for Improvement all related to adding detail to objective evidence/records of the QMS
One Finding:
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ISO/TS 16949:2002, Section 4.2.3

A documented procedure shall be established to define the controls needed
f) to ensure that documents of external origin are identified and their distribution controlled
Evidence: Found TS customer's shipping and packaging specification at different revisions in Order Review vs. Shipping. Could not locate process notice called out on the purchase order.

Rebuttal:
This is a minor finding. There have been no complaints about and/or violations of the current revisions of either of these documents. Our system has been adequate from our registration until now and we have checked externally controlled documents, and specifically the shipping document, at every internal and external audit.

On the gripping hand:
This is a clear cut Document Control finding. The biggest problem here is that sub-paragraph f) is covered in the manual and our system has executed properly until now. As the findings get fewer and ever more detailed, it gets more difficult and detailed for me to implement system corrective measures. I thought that these doggone findings would get easier to response to, not harder.

Last edited by Icy Mountain; 11th January 2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added rebuttal
Old 11th January 2007, 01:11 PM
Icy Mountain

Re: External Auditor's Response to Blood Pressure

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

I'd like to know what constitutes "stimulation with the auditor" and then how to tell when it has become excessive.
Stimulation: The auditor, who is from "that state up north", begins to sing "Hail to the Victors" with the single Michigan fan on your production floor.
Excessive: We can hear them in the Operations Director's office
Old 12th January 2007, 02:47 PM
Icy Mountain

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Icy Mountain View Post

One Finding:
Evidence: Found TS customer's shipping and packaging specification at different revisions in Order Review vs. Shipping. Could not locate process notice called out on the purchase order.
Here's another funny story. It turns out that the second piece of evidence, the "process notice", is the generic form number for the customer's Purchase Order itself. We were actually holding it in our hand! Well of course we meet that specification, we'd get killed if we didn't review and execute purchase orders properly. No wonder we didn't know the number, our customer has told us a million times, "You must meet the requirements of our Purchase Order", but not once have they said "You must meet the requirements of Form123". I don't know how I'm gonna answer this one...
Old 5th February 2007, 09:56 AM
Icy Mountain

Answering the process notice portion turned out to be really easy. I contacted my auditor and explained the situation and the notice in question was removed from the evidence list.

As for the finding:
We regularly check our customer's "what's new" page and update our files. We do a compare against the previous revision to see what has changed (if anything), and adjust our system accordingly. Of course, the customer gives no notice or clue what requirements may have changed. In the case of some of the larger tomes (100 pages +), we were not updating the paper copy in shipping after this review when only the phone number of the receiving clerk in Sri Lanka had changed.

Solution:
Paper copies at point of use eliminated. Computer shortcut to the documents on the customer's website installed at point of use.
Old 6th February 2007, 04:32 PM
Icy Mountain

Based on the above response, Periodic Audit #3 is closed.

And now for something completely different...
I got an email today that starts off: "Congratulations on achieving supplier status at Big Three Automotive Customer."

Now the fun really begins!

Last edited by AndyN; 7th March 2007 at 06:34 PM.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO/TS 16949 - International Automotive Quality Systems Standard

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?