The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Professional Certifications and Degrees
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 8th July 2009, 02:45 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 26
Karma Power: 23
sgurusaran has less than 100 Karma points so far.
ASQ - Hierarchy of Certifications

Is there a hierarchy of certifications from ASQ? How are the certifications interconnected and is there like a Mt Everest of certifications?

I guess what I am trying to look at is if a person is a CQE is it fair to say that person has good knowledge about audits and hence does he become a CQA?

If the above does not hold good, do you think it might be a good structure for ASQ to look at, hence creating one ultimate certification that would demonstrate a person's capability on other areas as well.

Hope I did not confuse anybody. Thank You for your replies

Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2009, 04:39 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,049
Thanked 5,974 Times in 3,809 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: ASQ - Hierarchy of Certifications

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sgurusaran View Post

Is there a hierarchy of certifications from ASQ? How are the certifications interconnected and is there like a Mt Everest of certifications?

I guess what I am trying to look at is if a person is a CQE is it fair to say that person has good knowledge about audits and hence does he become a CQA?

If the above does not hold good, do you think it might be a good structure for ASQ to look at, hence creating one ultimate certification that would demonstrate a person's capability on other areas as well.

Hope I did not confuse anybody. Thank You for your replies
Certifications aren't cumulative. I don't think ASQ would ever go for such a scheme as it would have a tendency to cut into revenues. I've known people who had all of the certifications that were available at the time. For them it's akin to a hobby, I think, but for ASQ it's a cash cow.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Sponsored Links

Old 8th July 2009, 04:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,306
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,770 Posts
Karma Power: 645
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I once viewed a lively discussion of certification hierarchy when the question of how to list them on business cards came up. Up or down? There was no final answer.

Since that time ASQ has developed so many certifications for different fields (manufacturing, food, health care, software), that assembling a hierarchy would be impractical at best and damaging at worst.

Think of them as personal growth and leave hierarchy out of the discussion.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Old 8th July 2009, 05:09 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 26
Karma Power: 23
sgurusaran has less than 100 Karma points so far.

When talking to one of my friends in the IT sector, they were asking me this question on the hierarchy. I guess there are certifications for Java programmers and developers. Those certifications are offered sequentially, so if you take the top most one, it is a given that you had passed the ones before.

This is what made me curious to see if ASQ had anything similar.
Old 9th July 2009, 02:33 PM
Courtesy Access

Registration Date: May 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 155
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Its been 12-15 years since I got my certifications (Manager, Engineer, Auditor, Technician) and I declined renewing them a few years ago. Felt like I was just giving ASQ cash for a piece of paper.

The only one I recall having a major overlap was the Technician and Engineer. For hierarchy I go with Manager - Engineer - Auditor - Technician when I list them on my resume, but that is just my personal thought. I actually thought Engineer was the hardest, but Manager usually outranks Engineer in the job world, so I list that first.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Professional Certifications and Degrees

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?