The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
general motors (gm), red x, root cause failure analysis

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28th July 2008, 08:27 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 10
Karma Power: 27
Larry.Jiang has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Send a message via MSN to Larry.Jiang
Re: GM's RED X - Supposed to be a simple tool to find Root Cause

frankly speaking ,it's a comprehensive tool for solving problem rather than a sample tool .In my opinion there is a little complex.
I think the primary concept is that compare the WOW and BOB ,and find out the deverse then do some test .

WOW:worst of worst
BOB:best of best

I got a training before but I did't understand entirely.

Sponsored Links
Old 9th September 2008, 12:30 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 6
Karma Power: 40
masterx has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hello, I have the RED X Master Certification, this technique was developed by Dorian Shainin not by GM, there are several companies that uses this methodology, unfortunately there is few bibliography for reference, one book is: "World Class Quality" using design of experiment to make it happen, Keki R. Bhote & Adi K. Bhote, second edition, AMACOM.
Sponsored Links

Old 26th January 2009, 08:18 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 23
nicci has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hello,

I am still interested in getting information about Red X or the implementation of the Red X (or Shainin methodology) at GM. Has anyone informations about the historical development of Red X? Who has applicate it first? Wasn´t it Toyota? Is it still in use at GM? How was ist implemented at GM?

I write a master thesis about these Quality tool for Opel in germany and I am happy about all information you can give me.

Thank you very much!
Old 26th January 2009, 08:48 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Oct 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 111
Karma Power: 112
wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.wmarhel is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nicci View Post

Hello,

I am still interested in getting information about Red X or the implementation of the Red X (or Shainin methodology) at GM. Has anyone informations about the historical development of Red X? Who has applicate it first? Wasn´t it Toyota? Is it still in use at GM? How was ist implemented at GM?

I write a master thesis about these Quality tool for Opel in germany and I am happy about all information you can give me.

Thank you very much!
Go to the source: Shainin

I met Richard Shainin (son of Dorian Shainin) a few years back at a conference. Nice guy, had some interesting thoughts on problem solving. If your looking to write a thesis, I would suggest using the advanced features on Google. Either the "Scholar search" or the advanced search features. For the advanced search, use the keywords but restrict the file types returned to either PDF, DOC or PPT. It helps remove some of the garbage.

Wayne
Thanks to wmarhel for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th August 2009, 11:46 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Sep 2008

Karma Power: 25
cuteprettyone has less than 100 Karma points so far.

I received my Journeyman certification in Shanin's Red X in 2004. I found the concept to be simpler than Six Sigma and derives the root cause in a more rapid and efficient manner. The course's location is in Michigan and is held for a week each time. The books for the course and software is provided when you attend the course. Overall, Red X is a good method and I wish more companies would incorporate it but only GM uses the method as of right now. Hope this helps
Thanks to cuteprettyone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 19th August 2009, 02:07 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jun 2009

Karma Power: 22
lhuaab has less than 100 Karma points so far.

'Rex X' system required in GM1927-3 Supplier Quality Statement Requirement
Thanks to lhuaab for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 19th August 2009, 06:59 AM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 603
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,305 Posts
Karma Power: 439
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Here is a link to GM 1927-3.

Note that the actual requirement is "Suppliers are required to demonstrate their capability to solve complex problems using advanced problem solving techniques such as the “Red X” system at GM - AVTOVAZ." (emphasis mine).

This means alternate methods such as 8D, Six Sigma or other techniques are also acceptable.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 11th October 2011, 04:23 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Oct 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 16
johnny xu has less than 100 Karma points so far.

in my opinion , each technology has own merit such as six sigma, Taguchi methods or Red-X.

we conducted some experiments to handle issues within company.

For instance, we utilized component search & paired comparison to identify significant factors rapidly by Red-X for solving illumination darkness of meters when worked at Calsonic Kansei. The tools are simple and efficient. To compare some difference between WOW &BOB.

We adopt Taguchi methods to decrease NTF rate at ICT station. Just you said , to utilize parameters design to calculate S/N ratio, two-step adjustment. You’d consider adding noise factors. To implement Taguchi , it takes a lot of time to conduct experiments.

Sampling size is so large, you need to understand advanced statistical knowledge. In brief , time is so long.

What’s more I read some Red-X cases about GM, I recommend you master some tools.
Thanks to johnny xu for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?