The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
auditor performance, iso 9001 - quality management systems, registrars (registration bodies), certification bodies (cb), auditors (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 6th March 2012, 02:12 AM
Wessam Sheta

Registration Date: Mar 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 35
Karma Power: 39
wessamsheta2000 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB) Auditors during their visits?

Hi all,
sorry if this subject is repeated, but I try hard to search about similar subject here and in the internet but unfortunately I failed.

Any way, what I want to speak about it today is "HOW you can evaluate your CB during their visits"

And what I am exactly want to evaluate not the auditors knowledge or experience or the criteria of findings issuance because this is not my problem.

1- My 1st problem is that I had (not have, because we just changed him lately) CB all what he cared about is the money !!!!!! and he can see majors infront of him and forget about it because he think that if he raised majors, he will lose us as a customer which ofcourse not our policy as respectable company and not accepted.

2- 2nd problem, During about 6 years of repeated visits, that CB not even once put some departments in his scheduele at all !!!!!!!!!, and believe me that dept.'s affect the product quality (design dept's !!!!!!!!!), is that Acceptable.
and also all his visits (suvelliance audits) is very short about a day maximum on company having 4 sites and about 1200 employees.

so how can I evaluate any CB and if there are common rules between me and him like "what is his real actions before and during registration visit and survillance visits" so I can evaluate the new CB coming to me.

Thanks.

wessam,

All for one, one for all

Sponsored Links
Old 6th March 2012, 02:45 AM
$ Contributor

Registration Date: Oct 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 388
Thanked 1,020 Times in 587 Posts
Karma Power: 186
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB)

It is always sad to hear stories like yours where organisations get so little satisfaction from their CB because I am sure they are a small minority of the audits that go on satisfactorily every day.

Still, you had the good sense to recognise the problem and change CB's - well done for that.

When choosing a new one you can of course ask around other companies and see what their experiences are, get testimonials from people here on the Cove and you can also interview the CB. Ask them to send someone along and 'sell' their CB to you.

Make sure that you know what you want from a CB - in other words, be careful what you wish for. There may be some people in your organisation that were quite happy with the method of auditing chosen by your previous CB!

If you think training is expensive, try ignorance
Sponsored Links

Old 6th March 2012, 02:58 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 249
Karma Power: 255
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.qusys is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB) Auditors during their visit

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by wessamsheta2000 View Post

Hi all,
sorry if this subject is repeated, but I try hard to search about similar subject here and in the internet but unfortunately I failed.

Any way, what I want to speak about it today is "HOW you can evaluate your CB during their visits"

And what I am exactly want to evaluate not the auditors knowledge or experience or the criteria of findings issuance because this is not my problem.

1- My 1st problem is that I had (not have, because we just changed him lately) CB all what he cared about is the money !!!!!! and he can see majors infront of him and forget about it because he think that if he raised majors, he will lose us as a customer which ofcourse not our policy as respectable company and not accepted.

2- 2nd problem, During about 6 years of repeated visits, that CB not even once put some departments in his scheduele at all !!!!!!!!!, and believe me that dept.'s affect the product quality (design dept's !!!!!!!!!), is that Acceptable.
and also all his visits (suvelliance audits) is very short about a day maximum on company having 4 sites and about 1200 employees.

so how can I evaluate any CB and if there are common rules between me and him like "what is his real actions before and during registration visit and survillance visits" so I can evaluate the new CB coming to me.

Thanks.
I think you could ask for a meeting or call to discuss about your "requirements" and desiderata with CB. They will be happy to receive your inpust to improve its 3rd part auditing process.
Consider that the activities of Cb are monitored by higher level organization , for example with witness audit, where registrar auditors are assessed by external representative.
Old 6th March 2012, 03:34 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,641
Thanked 5,313 Times in 3,341 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Yin Yang Re: How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB)

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Colin View Post

<snip> When choosing a new one you can of course ask around other companies and see what their experiences are, get testimonials from people here on the Cove and you can also interview the CB. Ask them to send someone along and 'sell' their CB to you.

Make sure that you know what you want from a CB - in other words, be careful what you wish for. There may be some people in your organisation that were quite happy with the method of auditing chosen by your previous CB!
And *always* require a copy of the CV (resume, if you will) of the auditor(s) which the CB is going to send.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 6th March 2012, 11:36 AM
Post Responsibly

Registration Date: Oct 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 1,690
Thanked 5,110 Times in 2,608 Posts
Karma Power: 921
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB) Auditors during their visit

Quote:

if there are common rules between me and him like "what is his real actions before and during registration visit and survillance visits" so I can evaluate the new CB coming to me.
Assuming that you are working with CB's that have proper accreditation, they should be following ISO 17021. That standard requires the CB's themselves to have management systems in place and give the CB's two options:
  1. follow ISO 9001 themselves, slightly amended or
  2. comply with option 2
Anyhow, the CB, operating in such a competitive marketplace should be VERY interested and RESPONSIVE to customer expectations and FEEDBACK.

Quote:

CB all what he cared about is the money !!!!!! and he can see majors infront of him and forget about it because he think that if he raised majors, he will lose us as a customer which ofcourse not our policy as respectable company and not accepted.
Did you ever provide feedback to the CB about the auditor repeated softgrading practices? Was the auditor aware of your expectations for them to report the nonconformities as such? In principle, that's what they should be doing all along, but, who knows? Many misguided auditors and misguided registrants play the softgrading game which brings the credibility of the certification process into disrepute.
Quote:

During about 6 years of repeated visits, that CB not even once put some departments in his scheduele at all !!!!!!!!!, and believe me that dept.'s affect the product quality (design dept's !!!!!!!!!), is that Acceptable.
If your scope of certification includes product design, this is not acceptable. It would be a MAJOR fault of the CB. But, and once again, did you EVER question the CB about their failure to assess the product design process?
Quote:

This violates in a HUGE way the IAF MD5 document, which stipulates minimum audit time.

Is the CB in question accredited? By whom?

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 7th March 2012, 03:22 AM
Wessam Sheta

yes, by UKAS british

Another thing, I know right now the right duration in the ISO 9001 & 14001 but still has some inquiries:

- What about OHSAS 18001 duration, what is its following standard.
- and in the initial stage, are there any right actions shall he follow and on how many dept's shall be audited. moreover in the survillaince audits as kind of control.

wessam,

All for one, one for all
Old 7th March 2012, 04:06 AM
Wessam Sheta

Quote:
Anyhow, the CB, operating in such a competitive marketplace should be VERY interested and RESPONSIVE to customer expectations and FEEDBACK.

Did you ever provide feedback to the CB about the auditor repeated softgrading practices? Was the auditor aware of your expectations for them to report the nonconformities as such? In principle, that's what they should be doing all along, but, who knows? Many misguided auditors and misguided registrants play the softgrading game which brings the credibility of the certification process into disrepute.
replying to this I totally agree with you about what CB lead us to when they are soft.

Quote:
If your scope of certification includes product design, this is not acceptable. It would be a MAJOR fault of the CB. But, and once again, did you EVER question the CB about their failure to assess the product design process? This violates in a HUGE way the IAF MD5 document, which stipulates minimum audit time.
really thankyou about such very useful attachment info

wessam,

All for one, one for all

Last edited by harry; 7th March 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: insert quote box
Old 12th March 2012, 03:11 AM
Wessam Sheta

hi all,
can any body please reply to my below mentioned inquiries:

Another thing, I know right now the right duration in the ISO 9001 & 14001 but still has some inquiries:

- What about OHSAS 18001 duration, what is its following standard.
- and in the initial stage, are there any right actions shall be followed and on how many dept's shall be audited. also in the survillaince audits as kind of control.

Thanks.

wessam,

All for one, one for all

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?