The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality
View Poll Results: Why don't we have more registrars actively participating in The Cove discussions?
They are unaware of this forum 3 23.08%
They are too busy 1 7.69%
They don't have the smarts to participate 1 7.69%
They are afraid of exposing his opinions 2 15.38%
It is against company policy 2 15.38%
The Cove is not relevant to registrars 0 0%
I'm not sure. 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Related Topic Tags
registrars (registration bodies)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 13th April 2012, 08:31 PM

Registration Date: Dec 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 20
Karma Power: 56
Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Boingo-boingo is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Question Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

Sydney Vianna wrote "....Some people would also associate the "caliber" of a registrar with the quality of information their representatives provide here at The Cove. There are a few of us, driven by transparency, who clearly disclose our professional affiliations. Others lurk in the shadows, afraid of engaging in any intelligent exchange.

There are a few of us who clearly show how differently we operate. How well we are involved with Industry issues and how much we communicate with our clients and other stakeholders. Others offer you a free quote..." in the post Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars?

Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?

there are only a handful of CB's truly represented here: BSi, DNV, NQA USA and to a lesser degree, a couple of smaller ones...

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?

Sponsored Links
Old 13th April 2012, 08:55 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,428
Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,264 Posts
Karma Power: 858
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Question Re: Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

Looking at the poll options it could be a number of factors (some not listed).

While many of us spend a good deal of our waking hours here, I'd venture to suggest that it's because we enjoy this type of discourse. Others may not, preferring face-to-face contact with 'real' not 'virtual' people, perhaps.

Maybe, if auditing's their everyday job, by the time an auditor gets back from 8 hours of ISO audit-graft, the last thing they want to do is read about somebody's poorly written nc statement and what the client should do about it!

Who knows?

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....
Sponsored Links

Old 13th April 2012, 09:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,350
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,782 Posts
Karma Power: 648
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

How many registrars is enough? Maybe it's just not apparent to you how many there are, but they just don't identify themselves as such. I can think of about a half-dozen, including yours truly in a couple of months.

I think the wording of at least two of the poll answers discourage response.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Old 14th April 2012, 01:34 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,759
Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,677 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Boingo-boingo View Post

Sydney Vianna wrote "....Some people would also associate the "caliber" of a registrar with the quality of information their representatives provide here at The Cove. There are a few of us, driven by transparency, who clearly disclose our professional affiliations. Others lurk in the shadows, afraid of engaging in any intelligent exchange.

There are a few of us who clearly show how differently we operate. How well we are involved with Industry issues and how much we communicate with our clients and other stakeholders. Others offer you a free quote..." in the post Is there any kind of Ranking available for selecting the Registrars?

Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?

there are only a handful of CB's truly represented here: BSi, DNV, NQA USA and to a lesser degree, a couple of smaller ones...

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?
There is representation from SGS, DEKRA to name some more.... and am sure that there should be a representation from others too

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you haveMaya Angelou
Old 15th April 2012, 06:11 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,586
Thanked 5,247 Times in 3,316 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I Say... Re: Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

Quote:

<snip> Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views? <snip>
I assume you mean with respect to participation in discussion threads. I think it's a matter of there being a small subset of people who like to help others and enjoy this type of venue.

Most registrars are probably aware of Elsmar, but their interest is mostly sales which they can do through advertising rather than direct participation. And I don't doubt that some may not necessarily want their employees to directly participate with the thought that any posts by an employee here *could* be taken as the registrar's position on a topic and don't want to be "locked in" to something posted here.

As to "...Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?...", I think more people have been getting "online" over the years (obviously) but the "corporatization" of the internet is happening fast. More and more people prefer LinkedIn, Facebook and even Google is tending more and more toward large, organized "social" sites. Elsmar is essentially a "mom and pop" place, not to mention Elsmar is a volunteer site. Many sites pay for people to answer peoples questions.

And Google is tending to tilt their search results towards "corporate" sites. There have been a lot of complaints in webmaster forums for a year or so and some recent changes have made it worse. Elsmar has been around for a long time so we still get quite a bit of traffic, but that is in flux.

Heck, I don't know. It's something I think about from time to time. Right now I'm just happy we have the great core group of "regulars" and moderators who help every day.

I know this is a bit wide for the question asked. I'm just doing some "thinking out loud".

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th April 2012, 06:04 PM
Glad to help, if I can

Registration Date: Mar 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 1,774
Thanked 1,197 Times in 836 Posts
Karma Power: 242
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ronen E is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
...Elsmar is essentially a "mom and pop" place, not to mention Elsmar is a volunteer site....
I think that's its beauty and strength and I hope it will never change.

Quote:
...And Google is tending to tilt their search results towards "corporate" sites....
I know very little about what Google are doing, but from my own insignificant experience, whenever I search for something non-trivial related to medical devices regulation, Elsmar threads always come up in the first results page, typically on the top half (sometimes even first or second result). I wonder if it has something to do with Google* monitoring my own type of activity on an ongoing basis.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

Everyone have a good week,
Ronen.

*) I mean the software running on my laptop (I use Google Chrome), not the company of course.

Last edited by Ronen E; 15th April 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th April 2012, 06:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,428
Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,264 Posts
Karma Power: 858
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Thumbs up Re: Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove?

This place is the embodiment of "community", IMHO. I enter into discussions on Linkedin, but there's no sense of "community" over there. It's either people selling themselves, or services or trying to make themselves look better than anyone else!

I do find quite a few people who come here and, of the auditors I know, try to encourage their participation. I guess it's just not for everyone!

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....
Thank You to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 16th April 2012, 04:45 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Jan 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 461
Karma Power: 233
Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Paul Simpson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Paul Simpson

I didn't requote Sidney as I think that point has been well made.
Quote:

<snip>Me too started thinking why don't we have more registrar people participating in this forum? Are they too busy? Are they unaware of the cove? Are they afraid of sharing their views?
Most registrars are in the money making business and taking part in discussion does not make money - at least not directly. It takes an individual who 'gets' the idea of a forum and its role in showing your company in a good light to do a good job of representing your registrar.

Similarly if you are not careful you can end up giving your employer a bad reputation. If you come across as either 'woolly' or inflexible (two sides of the same 'lack of knowledge' coin then why would someone looking for a potential registrar partner come to you? So it is easy to get a negative return on your investment.

Quote:

Agreed, stand up Randy, Sidney and AndyN. All three are shining lights - you three don't always agree and we don't always agree with you but we always welcome your views and your contribution with your knowledge of the 'dark arts'!

Quote:

Why is that? Isn't this the place to be, if you were in the certification business? Is there any better virtual community to present your organization?</snip>
Not really. Think of the muscle behind the marketing departments of the CBs. 'So you want us to invest time and effort in putting our views across and we can't control the questions we answer or the subsequent behaviour of the people putting the questions?' How unappealing does that look?

When I was running one of the smaller CBs we decided that it was worth investing some of our scarce time and effort - we knew we wouldn't get much business from it as we didn't have the global reach of the 'Majors' but it did help if you were able to point clients and potential clients to a valuable resource like the Cove for answers.

Rgds, Paul Simpson
There has to be a better way .... surely?
Thank You to Paul Simpson for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?