Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Controversial Discussion Topics
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Why a janitor ends up with a higher tax rate than a millionaire - Page 2

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
controversial topics, politics and politicians, taxes and taxation, united states (usa)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 15th April 2012, 05:04 PM
Bill Pflanz

Total Posts: 714
Re: Why a janitor ends up with a higher tax rate than a millionaire

So what you are saying TruePosition is that it doesn't make any difference how a journalist shows the data as long as the answer comes out that the wealthy should pay more.

Bill Pflanz

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 15th April 2012, 05:58 PM
True Position

Total Posts: 666

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bill Pflanz View Post

So what you are saying TruePosition is that it doesn't make any difference how a journalist shows the data as long as the answer comes out that the wealthy should pay more.

Bill Pflanz
Can't respond to the truth so you attack me? That the payroll taxes are regressive and due to the investment rates some very wealthy have lower effective rates then janitors are facts.

I'm sorry facts hurt your politics.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 15th April 2012, 08:14 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,565
Yin Yang Request for Clarification

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by True Position View Post

Can't respond to the truth so you attack me? <snip>
It's not really an "attack". It's a "request for a clarification".

As is evident, I started this thread without any comment. The link is to some graphs that I felt some people may want to look at, and if they like to discuss here.

Expectation of disagreements, often between specific individuals, are expected in this forum. Name calling and such is obviously prohibited, but some antagonistic inter-personal posts are to be expected.

Everyone should remember - There is the aspect of saying "we agree to disagree"... from time to time.
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 15th April 2012, 08:53 PM
True Position

Re: Request for Clarification

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

It's not really an "attack". It's a "request for a clarification".

As is evident, I started this thread without any comment. The link is to some graphs that I felt some people may want to look at, and if they like to discuss here.

Expectation of disagreements, often between specific individuals, are expected in this forum. Name calling and such is obviously prohibited, but some antagonistic inter-personal posts are to be expected.

Everyone should remember - There is the aspect of saying "we agree to disagree"... from time to time.
There's plenty of ways to request clarification without trying to assign motives to someone else.
  Post Number #13  
Old 15th April 2012, 09:38 PM
Hershal

Total Posts: 2,398

Interesting.

The article does not describe the sources of income, as that drives the tax rates. Buffet is a prime example, as his salary is comparable to his secretary, but his investment income - with a different tax rate - is many times her $100K+ salary.

Information that would be useful in judging whether things are actually unequal or some journalist just is stirring the pot without a **** for fact.
  Post Number #14  
Old 15th April 2012, 11:49 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,565
I Say... Re: Why a janitor ends up with a higher tax rate than a millionaire

Yeah - As we all know, these things get really weird in the sense that you really have to dive into the details and determine how they came up with the numbers they use to make graphs like these. That is typically the contention arguments to what what graphs like the "really" mean.

Like I said - I posted some "food for thought". The link is to a Mother Jones article, so you know right there part of what the slant will be the same as watching Fox News. As always, each personal perceptions and interpretations come into play.

This is one of the great things about the internet. For example, I have a "bathroom book" which has various NY Times front pages. Reading though the articles, and not *just* the headlines, is always a thought provoker. In some ways things haven't changed much, from the headline topics to the "daily" NYC "events". Murders and the whole bit. Local (and other) corruption articles.

You used to get "second hand" information. I think a lot of it was more (to a large degree) *reporting* as opposed to today's entertainment/"news" crud. These days one can go to a lot of internet sites for info from both (all) sides and make decisions. These days it's hard to imagine getting "news" of events via stage coach drivers and such.
Attached Thumbnails
NY Times front pages.JPG   NY Times front pages[1].JPG   NY Times front pages[2].JPG   NY Times front pages[3].JPG   NY Times front pages[4].JPG  

Post Number #15  
Old 16th April 2012, 08:33 AM
Bill Pflanz

Total Posts: 714

I have noticed the same things that you described Marc. Besides reading the original Mother Jones story I also dug a little deeper to look at the source material. Being retired with more time makes it possible to look at facts and data that are not usually in the mainstream media (Fox included). Newspapers actually do a better job than tv about providing more facts and less headlines. I have found that tracking down information to original sources to be interesting because what gets passed from source to source gets lost just like in the game of passing the message on to the next person.

The other thing that bothers me is the use of graphs and tables that provide data in a misleading way. The most grievious offenses are picking time frames in a trend line that match an argument and misinterpreting normal variation as significant.

Bill Pflanz
  Post Number #16  
Old 16th April 2012, 09:57 AM
True Position

Did your further research confirm or deny that it's very possible for a janitor to have a higher effective tax rate than a person earning millions from investments?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Controversial Discussion Topics

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?