Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Rounding Numbers - Adding numbers in Excel - I want the average

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 13th April 2012, 01:56 PM
dbulak

Total Posts: 282
Please Help! Rounding Numbers - Adding numbers in Excel - I want the average

I am adding numbers in Excel. I want the average, but Excel is rounding the numbers up to the next decimal. I have looked, but I just can't seem to find the fix. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 13th April 2012, 02:06 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,077
Re: Rounding numbers

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dbulak View Post

I am adding numbers in Excel. I want the average, but Excel is rounding the numbers up to the next decimal. I have looked, but I just can't seem to find the fix. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks in advance.
Highlight the cells in question, right-click and choose Format Cells. Click the Number tab and then choose the number of decimal places you want. Excel always stores numbers in full precision regardless of the number of decimal places displayed. For example, if .1234 is rounded to .12, .1234 is still used in calculations.

Last edited by Jim Wynne; 13th April 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 13th April 2012, 02:09 PM
sjared

Total Posts: 27
Re: Rounding numbers

Right click on the cell with the average value. Select Format Cells...which opens a dialog box. On the Number tab, select Number for the category type. There should be a box which allows you to select the number of decimal places to display for that cell.
  Post Number #4  
Old 18th April 2012, 09:34 AM
Darius

Total Posts: 543
Re: Rounding Numbers - Adding numbers in Excel - I want the average

In the Home menu, there is a Number section (normally at the upper-center of the display) where you can change the number of decimals or as is said in the other posts, change the "format" in the combobox on the Number section.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp decimals.bmp (139.4 KB, 16 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?