Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

How does an organization ensure valuable employees are taken care of? - Page 2


Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
employees (general)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 18th April 2012, 01:54 PM
JBDU010969

 
 
Total Posts: 5
Re: How does an organization ensure valuable employees are taken care of?

Thank you very much for your quick response

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 18th April 2012, 08:55 PM
Wes Bucey's Avatar
Wes Bucey

 
 
Total Posts: 11,002
Re: How does an organization ensure valuable employees are taken care of?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by biboy2012 View Post

My officemate notified his supervisor that he will be taking emergency leave of absence without pay and try to find some sort of way to get some money because his mother was sent for an emergency treatment of an ailment. The COO told the CEO that he (officemate) didn't show up for work.. he said he didn't have enough money. The COO said however he did show up for his paycheck and bought some smokes even though the COO knew that he was a smoker (COO is a smoker too, they usually see each other at the smoking area) so not surprising if he bought some smokes. But it doesn't erase the fact that there was an emergency, and therefore, he shoudn't be penalized for taking personal emergency leave. There was a conflict between the COO and my officemate. Unfortunately, instead of just try to get over it my officemate is resigning.

What should I advise him?
How did office mate [or ANYBODY] learn of snide comment by COO to prompt resignation?
That dynamic of transmission is critical to whether office mate is justified in leaving or whether he was "pushed" to resign by someone.

Without going into a long harangue, the snide remark by the COO to the CEO about the cigarette purchase should have remained private between those two. The fact both you and office mate are privy implies a bad work atmosphere where things which ought to be private are grist for the rumor and gossip mill - not generally a place where folks are happy working.

There are other items in this specific post copied above which are confusing:
  1. If the guy takes leave without pay, where is he going to get money for mom's treatment? rob a bank?
  2. Did office mate not showing up to work, only to retrieve a check, mean he was out at pawn shops selling possessions? at blood bank selling blood? looking for better paying job?
  3. Is the COO the office mate's direct supervisor? If not, maybe he only knew part of the story - the part where the guy collects a check.
  4. Depending on the total size of the organization, it may be understandable there are no standing policies for dealing with an unpaid leave of absence. Small organizations typically operate ad hoc as situations arise.
  5. Some responsibility for current situation rests with office mate who appears to have panicked in presenting his situation without making his needs and wants clear. Major responsibility falls on supervisors who seem to have displayed zero empathy for the plight of office mate, seeming to consider office mate "disposable."
Sponsored Links

  Post Number #11  
Old 19th April 2012, 09:36 AM
biboy2012

 
 
Total Posts: 210
Re: How does an organization ensure valuable employees are taken care of?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey View Post

How did office mate [or ANYBODY] learn of snide comment by COO to prompt resignation?
That dynamic of transmission is critical to whether office mate is justified in leaving or whether he was "pushed" to resign by someone.
The CEO who was in the US sent an email to officemate informing that he will advise the Accounting Staff to advance officemate a certain amount from his bonus. He also mentioned in said email that the COO told him officemate didn’t show up for work.. according to him officemate said he didn't have enough money, COO said however he did show up for his paycheck and bought some smokes.

Quote:
Without going into a long harangue, the snide remark by the COO to the CEO about the cigarette purchase should have remained private between those two. The fact both you and office mate are privy implies a bad work atmosphere where things which ought to be private are grist for the rumor and gossip mill - not generally a place where folks are happy working.

There are other items in this specific post copied above which are confusing:
  1. If the guy takes leave without pay, where is he going to get money for mom's treatment? rob a bank?
  2. Did office mate not showing up to work, only to retrieve a check, mean he was out at pawn shops selling possessions? at blood bank selling blood? looking for better paying job?
I've heard he was trying to borrow money from relatives and friends.

Quote:
3. Is the COO the office mate's direct supervisor? If not, maybe he only knew part of the story - the part where the guy collects a check.
He was working with CEO and partly with COO on business systems and processes project. Since CEO was out of the country, officemate notified his (acting) supervisor that he will be taking emergency leave of absence.
Quote:
4. Depending on the total size of the organization, it may be understandable there are no standing policies for dealing with an unpaid leave of absence. Small organizations typically operate ad hoc as situations arise.

5. Some responsibility for current situation rests with office mate who appears to have panicked in presenting his situation without making his needs and wants clear. Major responsibility falls on supervisors who seem to have displayed zero empathy for the plight of office mate, seeming to consider office mate "disposable."
The supervisor I was referring to is the COO.
Reply

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?


Bookmarks


Visitors Currently Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 Registered Visitors (Members) and 1 Unregistered Guest Visitors)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Forum Search
Display Modes Rate Thread Content
Rate Thread Content:

Forum Posting Settings
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Discussion Threads
Discussion Thread Title Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post or Poll Vote
Pre-Audit Tips for Employees - Preparing Employees to be Audited piney ISO 19011 *and* ALL other Auditing Discussions 23 14th August 2014 03:32 PM
Are Temporary Employees considered Employees from a Procedural Standpoint? ScottK Quality Management Related Issues 19 16th February 2011 06:08 PM
5 Ways to Ensure Mediocrity in Your Organization palmer Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2 17th May 2010 01:33 PM
Key processes - Aged care facility - Cert IV in aged care CQI maxifrog Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6 23rd November 2004 01:49 AM
Do You Consider Your Quality Policy Valuable to your Organization? (Poll) tschones Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 44 13th July 2004 01:34 PM



The time now is 09:26 AM. All times are GMT -4.
Your time zone can be changed in your UserCP --> Options.


   


Marc Timothy Smith - Elsmar.com
8466 LeSourdsville-West Chester Road, Olde West Chester, Ohio 45069-1929
513 341-6272
NOTE: This forum uses "cookies".
no new posts