The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
employee performance and reviews, measureables (also see metrics), metrics (measurables such as for objectives), nonconformance system

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 20th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,650 Posts
Karma Power: 923
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
Re: NonConformances as a Tool to Measure Employee Performance

Absolutely the worst thing you could do and would contribute about as much to improvement as cops writing tickets for speeding 26 in a 25 would for traffic safety

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway

Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2012, 11:42 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,481
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,643 Posts
Karma Power: 504
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to somashekar

To err is human
To repeatedly err is incompetence
To allocate incompetent personnel on job is management fault
To go ahead and measure incompetency of incompetent personnel is a management sin

To err is human
To repeatedly err is incompetence
To allocate jobs to personnel matching to their competency is management skill
To go ahead and measure competency and improve OR reallocate jobs to match competency is management technique

You pick the choice ~~~

Best Regards...
Somashekar BV, INDIA
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd April 2012, 08:11 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 65
Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Geoff Withnell is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.

Too reward or punish based on number of nonconformances per employee is usually a mistake, since most nonconformances are system based, and therefore under management control not employee control. However, there is nothing wrong with tracking nonconformances per employee, and noting if there is a particular employee whose nonconformance level is statistically different than others. The level may be worse than the mean, which does not necessarily indicate employee incompetance. The employee may have missed a crucial training, or any number of other reasons. The difference may also be BETTER than the mean. I once solved a problem that had everyone ripping their hair out, because I noticed one operator almost never had that particular failure. Analysis of how she did things differently allowed us to ID the root cause of the problem.

Geoff Withnell

Quality Guru and no longer subject to reveille US Marine.
Thank You to Geoff Withnell for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:59 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Oct 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 53
ssz102 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.ssz102 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.ssz102 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.ssz102 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.

i think it is a good way of encourage employee hard working if it is a long years ago, but it is not now;

for we should be find a suitable approach from system or process or flow rather than punish workers;

such as what is reason has cause them generate error;
how does your eliminate this similar phenomenal ;
are you prepare a correction plan?
Old 4th June 2012, 11:14 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 41
thbohnsack has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Good Morning!

I have enjoyed all these responses - I also enjoyed reading Don't Feed the Hog, and I learned quite a bit in this short exchange. To start with, I don't think I asked my question quite right, or that I provided sufficient background.

We are looking at continuing to develop an Employee Performance Management System (EPMS) - of which one part is Quality Performance.

Non-conformances are only one metric (of several) that we monitor. We do differentiate the type of non-conformace - Man, Material, Machine, or Method. Non-conformances do not always point at an operator. I believe we have done a pretty good job in advancing root cause, looking at practices and procedures - identifying improvements and implementing them. Often with the input and assistance of the shop employees. Much of what I read in Don't Feed the Hog is relevant and in practice. My interest here is in the Man related issues: I am less interested in the operator who set his machine up wrong (simple mistake), but caught the out-of-tolerance part at first article inspection, then I am in the next operator who set his machine up wrong (also simple mistake) and machined 100 pcs.

Perhaps a better question would be, "What makes a successfull program in developing or structuring the Quality component of an EPMS - which would be used in conjuction with several other facets, in order to evaluate employees? What other metrics could we consider?

I hope I have explained a little bit better about what I am after. I look forward to reading more..
Old 4th June 2012, 12:02 PM
Looking for Reality

Registration Date: Oct 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 84
Karma Power: 66
Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ninja is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by thbohnsack View Post

...which would be used in conjuction with several other facets, in order to evaluate employees? ...
Taking to heart what somashekar wrote above, (but before having read it put so concisely), I recently started an "Oops Ledger". All errors get put into this ledger and categorized into various types of "Oops".

But here's the difference, and why I highlighted this particular part of your question:
All of the employees know the ledger is being kept, and they all know and are repeatedly told again that this ledger will be used
...in conjunction with several other facets, in order to evaluate our production system.

I've got great guys working for me. They do a great job...not perfect, but great. If errors are consistently made in the same place, the system needs to be improved...not the guys. The guys are great, the system can always be improved. The guys can get better too...but not by counting NC's...

If they flat out don't care...well...the oops ledger is the least of my concerns.

Purpose...Plan...Progress...PEACHES! . . . "To me there is only one form of depravity - the man without a purpose." - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand -
Thanks to Ninja for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th June 2012, 12:37 PM
Heretical Statistician

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 1,221
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,235 Posts
Karma Power: 373
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Perhaps a better question would be, "What makes a successfull program in developing or structuring the Quality component of an EPMS - which would be used in conjuction with several other facets, in order to evaluate employees? What other metrics could we consider?
I don't think your clarification would change my answer at all. Basically because I reject the premise that operators (Except for the rare maliscious people who are trying to sabotage the works) can be statistically or subsatantially differentiated as causes of poor - or great - quality. Occassionally I have an operator who had poor technique or great technique but only diagnostically.

That's not to say that I think they can't contribute to improved quality. I do think they have a lot to add. My organization looks at the operator's contribution to improved quality, delivery and cost. You asked about other metrics: we use the number of IDEAS they contribute as their 'quality' metric. We dont' have a suggestion system we have an idea system...I wou lstrongly recommend hte book "Ideas for Free" for some good ideas on how to create a successful program...

Statistics without physics is gambling; Physics without statistics is psychics
Thanks to Bev D for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 4th June 2012, 02:56 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 509
Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,929 Posts
Karma Power: 1175
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Good Morning!

I have enjoyed all these responses - I also enjoyed reading Don't Feed the Hog, and I learned quite a bit in this short exchange. To start with, I don't think I asked my question quite right, or that I provided sufficient background.

We are looking at continuing to develop an Employee Performance Management System (EPMS) - of which one part is Quality Performance.

Non-conformances are only one metric (of several) that we monitor. We do differentiate the type of non-conformace - Man, Material, Machine, or Method. Non-conformances do not always point at an operator. I believe we have done a pretty good job in advancing root cause, looking at practices and procedures - identifying improvements and implementing them. Often with the input and assistance of the shop employees. Much of what I read in Don't Feed the Hog is relevant and in practice. My interest here is in the Man related issues: I am less interested in the operator who set his machine up wrong (simple mistake), but caught the out-of-tolerance part at first article inspection, then I am in the next operator who set his machine up wrong (also simple mistake) and machined 100 pcs.

I hope I have explained a little bit better about what I am after. I look forward to reading more..
By writing My interest here is in the Man related issues: I am less interested in the operator who set his machine up wrong (simple mistake), but caught the out-of-tolerance part at first article inspection, then I am in the next operator who set his machine up wrong (also simple mistake) and machined 100 pcs., you point to an obvious omission of a management requirement, namely "first piece inspection" before going on to make 100 N/C pieces. If first piece inspection is NOT part of the Control Plan, the onus is on management, not operator.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ninja View Post

Taking to heart what somashekar wrote above, (but before having read it put so concisely), I recently started an "Oops Ledger". All errors get put into this ledger and categorized into various types of "Oops".

But here's the difference, and why I highlighted this particular part of your question:
All of the employees know the ledger is being kept, and they all know and are repeatedly told again that this ledger will be used
...in conjunction with several other facets, in order to evaluate our production system.

I've got great guys working for me. They do a great job...not perfect, but great. If errors are consistently made in the same place, the system needs to be improved...not the guys. The guys are great, the system can always be improved. The guys can get better too...but not by counting NC's...

If they flat out don't care...well...the oops ledger is the least of my concerns.
OK, so you have an Oops Ledger. What and when are root cause and error-proofing implemented? Data gathering is worthless without follow through to Corrective or Preventive Action. Even more, the guys who have entries in the ledger should be part of root cause investigation on their entry.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bev D View Post

I don't think your clarification would change my answer at all. Basically because I reject the premise that operators (Except for the rare maliscious people who are trying to sabotage the works) can be statistically or subsatantially differentiated as causes of poor - or great - quality. Occassionally I have an operator who had poor technique or great technique but only diagnostically.

That's not to say that I think they can't contribute to improved quality. I do think they have a lot to add. My organization looks at the operator's contribution to improved quality, delivery and cost. You asked about other metrics: we use the number of IDEAS they contribute as their 'quality' metric. We dont' have a suggestion system we have an idea system...I wou lstrongly recommend hte book "Ideas for Free" for some good ideas on how to create a successful program...
Bev is thinking more like a modern quality professional here instead of the old fashioned Kwality Kop Klowns who used to populate industrial organizations. These guys thought their whole purpose for existence was to point out errors and treat operators as incapable of contributing to improvement.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?