The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
quality assurance (qa), quality control (qc), responsibilities

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 26th April 2012, 11:04 AM
On Holiday

Registration Date: Jul 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
aliasJohnQ has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Should Quality folks be just policeman & policewomen?

There are two way of thinking: Old school equals carrying a big stick
The new way equals being sensitive to the needs of the employees, and understanding what they feel while still maintaining your Quality system.
My advice: Blend the old and the new!
Eventhough my gut is telling me to just carry that big stick, and come out swinging!

Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,631 Posts
Karma Power: 916
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy

I was a "Big Stick" cop nearly 40 years ago in Arkansas

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Sponsored Links

Old 27th April 2012, 04:26 AM
Get Involved!!!

Registration Date: Dec 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 127
Karma Power: 95
Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Manix is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Manix

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by aliasJohnQ View Post

There are two way of thinking: Old school equals carrying a big stick
The new way equals being sensitive to the needs of the employees, and understanding what they feel while still maintaining your Quality system.
My advice: Blend the old and the new!
Eventhough my gut is telling me to just carry that big stick, and come out swinging!
For those who still have the big stick to hand; you can always tie a carrot to the end? This could be seen as combining the old with the new!

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 27th April 2012, 07:16 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Dec 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 208
Karma Power: 65
ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ChrissieO is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ScottK View Post

Who's going to tell management that there is a nonconformance?
Managment has to work through their agents. My agents are my QC Staff.
I issue NCs to the senior management team regularly as that is where the buck stops.

Cx

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.
Thanks to ChrissieO for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 15th August 2012, 03:38 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Mar 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 13
CandyPoetrygirl has less than 100 Karma points so far.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that gets viewed as a in the workplace!
I think that if everyone takes the shared responsibility of implementing quality and it is not seen as a departmental responsibility, that helps alot!
My pet peeve is when people don't understand the role of the QA in the workplace, that is where the training and coaching aspect comes to the fore.

I love my job
Old 9th September 2012, 10:24 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 21
Karma Power: 9
JoeDM has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jeffrey_Chang View Post

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?
In general, the impression I've from other departments about quality folks is one that quality only knows about complaining an issue, about rejecting a lot, about issuing CARs etc. They don't seems to be proactive in not only sharing a problem but also in providing a solution or at least be more interested in collaborating with other departments in finding a solution. Some departments also feel that they are not technically inclined and hence they are only good in complaining. Some departments might feel that they are not value adding to the company.
What's your notion on this?
thks.
jeffrey.
I think it often appears that way to others in the organization, but it shouldn't. The point made is that it may be the complainer's problem. This is sometimes true.

Keep in mind that it has a lot to do with the organization's culture. In an organization where everybody sees quality as a critical component of their job, the perception is often different. Also keep in mind that the quality people are typically looking at nonconformances. They are not looking at what went right, they are looking at what went wrong so improvement can take place. So they seem only to have bad news.

It's how you present the information. Why not present what's going right followed by some opportunities to improve.
Thanks to JoeDM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 10th September 2012, 07:29 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: May 2010

Thanks Given to Others: 613
Karma Power: 111
kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.kgott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jeffrey_Chang View Post

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?

jeffrey.

Don't make the same mistake with quality that has been made in safety. A quality person has no more control over work processess than a safety person has over them.

If the placebo effect is so effective why is it not used as a legitimate treatment?
Old 15th October 2012, 06:57 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 105
David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.David Hartman is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.

As a former Quality Systems Auditor I found that most of the areas within the company that I audited had some good practices in place. So I would ensure that I mentioned those up front. But, not only would I mention them at the out-brief for their area, I would also mention them as "improvement" ideas in other areas (workcenters) within the company where it appeared that they could be of benefit (a modified "benchmarking" process of sorts).

This practice, accompanied by working with each organization as a "member" of their team ("I am here to help you find the weak areas in your processes, so that we can improve them together."), worked well in establishing a role for the auditor as a mentor, resource for improvement, and someone to help keep the wheels from falling off.
Thank You to David Hartman for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?