Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Customer Complaints including ISO 10002
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
customer survey, sample size, samples and sampling plans, statistical analysis and studies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 27th April 2012, 09:26 AM
Other Things to Do

Registration Date: Feb 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 233
Karma Power: 0
biboy2012 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question What is the Appropriate Sample Size for a Customer Survey?

If we have 8,000 active accounts/customers, how many customers need to survey? What is the recommendation of statistical textbooks?

Many Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2012, 09:48 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 6,002 Times in 3,821 Posts
Karma Power: 1532
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Customer survey....random by how much?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by biboy2012 View Post

If we have 8,000 active accounts/customers, how many customers need to survey? What is the recommendation of statistical textbooks?

Many Thanks in advance!
You might find this brief paper (PDF) helpful. It includes a table for determining sample sizes.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 25th May 2012, 09:09 AM
Other Things to Do

Registration Date: Feb 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 233
Karma Power: 0
biboy2012 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: What is the Appropriate Sample Size for a Customer Survey?

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the excellent reference/attachment. I have a very little knowledge of statistics that's why I found this a little bit harder.

Let me give you an update. We conducted customer survey using two channels, e-mail and walk-in. We are on our third week but very few responses. From your attached file I refered to the table to determine the recommended sample size. Since there are 8,000 active accounts/customers, the recommended sample size for categorical data could be 262 or 367 or 613. My question is this.. Should I stop at 262 or 367 or 613 samples even if the response is low? Or should I continue conducting surveys until we reached 262 0r 367 0r 613 responses?

Last edited by biboy2012; 25th May 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:44 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 42
Karma Power: 48
alekra is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.alekra is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.

Dear All,

In the company I work for, we´re used to make an ABC analyses (based on $$$ return/sales). We concentrate our efforts in performing a survey with A anb B customers (considering that they contribute more).

Regards!

Alekra
Thanks to alekra for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 31st December 2012, 06:24 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Dec 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 8
ASQ girl has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hi, if you have Minitab go to graphs, the power (last option), sample 1 T and enter the info it will give you the calc. In order to do this you need to have the mean, std dev , for the power use 0.99. It helps.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:16 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 10
Karma Power: 55
Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Murphys Law is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.

I would understand the customer base a bit more and find out how your sales / marketing group assess your customers.

Do they arrange them into big accounts? Are they grouped by revenue - major accounts, medium accounts, small accounts serviced through distributors ? Are the grouped geographically?

Also what do you want to do with this data? Are you wanting to grow business? How much of the business is repeat business regardless?

Knowing this you can target who you survey and what you ask them. Get your sales force involved in this. This can be a sales tool for them as well.My experience is sales are pretty protective of their customers and they are leary of some QA clown going in and talking to their customers.

I don't know about you but I have customer survey fatigue in the commercial world. Surveys by car manufacturers for example, are skewed by the sales person pre-checking how I am going to answer as their compensation may be based on this.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Customer Complaints including ISO 10002

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?