Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
management changes, training (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 27th April 2012, 10:42 AM
1Noob

Please Help! Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement

Hi folks,

My Boss the Quality VP/Manager left and now this guy with no experience took over. He is running around like a chicken with its head cut off... Also there is Audit plan that we must submit by May 11 2012... I don't think he even knows about it...

I was wonder what type of education/training would you need to help him?

regards,

Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2012, 10:48 AM
RCBeyette

Re: Quality VP/Manager left...

Skipping over the education/training part, if you aren't certain he knows about the May 11 deadline, you could ask "We need to submit xxx by May 11, right?" (this will help determine if he does know about the deadline) and if he answers 'yes', continue with "I know you're really busy with the new responsibilities and was wondering if there was anything I can do to help."
Thank You to RCBeyette for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 27th April 2012, 10:49 AM
silentrunning

Re: Quality VP/Manager left...

I think now would be a great time for a Management Review meeting. Get all the department heads together and give this guy some help. It will be to everyones benefit if he suceeds.
Thank You to silentrunning for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 27th April 2012, 11:54 AM
Chance

Re: Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement

Instead of asking what training needs for him, why don't you offer some support...
Old 27th April 2012, 12:35 PM
Ajit Basrur

Great responses so far ... you could have a short presentation on what are some of the ongoing activities that he need to be aware of.
Old 27th April 2012, 03:24 PM
Wes Bucey

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by 1Noob View Post

Hi folks,

My Boss the Quality VP/Manager left and now this guy with no experience took over. He is running around like a chicken with its head cut off... Also there is Audit plan that we must submit by May 11 2012... I don't think he even knows about it...

I was wonder what type of education/training would you need to help him?

regards,
I see several warning flags here.
  1. why did the previous guy leave?
  2. how do you know this new person has no experience?
  3. If he has no experience or education, how did he get hired? (nepotism?)
  4. making ANY assumption about what a guy knows or doesn't know is really walking on thin ice in spring melt time - marshal your facts before offering a solution - this apparent "running around" may very well be an attempt by HIM to marshal all his facts about the organization's operation before 5/11/2012

As far as training - any recommendation we make is worthless unless and until we know what he DOES know and what the operations at your organization require. In an earlier post, you wrote about having to deal with a contract manufacturer AFTER noting a number of N/C - that's straight-forward stuff and most executives could handle that with only a quick review, regardless if they had extensive training and knowledge of the tools of quality.

In general, the comments of earlier posters are pertinent. Roxane (RCBeyette) is very diplomatic in her approach - you should ALSO be diplomatic in yours. Don't challenge, just gather data until you are confident you have a good idea of the Big Picture, then you can offer to help or even just ask whether the guy is aware of the Cove, where a motivated person can pick up the equivalent of attending a brick & mortar school of quality at the click of a link.

My guess is the guy is not ignorant about the quality profession, but he may be struggling to catch up if the previous office holder left things in disarray.
(If he is truly ignorant about the quality profession, this implies either:
  1. your entire top level management is misguided about running an efficient operation,
    OR
  2. you are misguided about the extent of quality expertise needed by a person in the management chair when all the staff is VERY competent in their assigned tasks.)
Thank You to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 28th April 2012, 01:27 PM
v9991

Question Re: Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement

glad to note that my approach is what is also recommended by experts. (positive approach, extending support... etc,)

Now my situation starts there, what do i do if new boss is neither considering to the suggestions nor doing the required steps...; ( i say this because, i have come up with atleast two alternative approaches for each of the problem; and there are atleast half a dozen improvement areas required...; btw, I draw some solutions are inspired by couple of references including cove... ) btw not only that... we had also implemented those ideas on pilot scale and sowed the difference...

and its not that i have been insisting my way or no-way...its simply not even considered for discussion. and where considered for discussion its discussed to the extent of feasibility of implementation; not on the merits of the need/results of implementation;

nor doing what is required. (reason i say is because, the situation(problems, feedback of internal customers) have not changed!!!);

Last edited by v9991; 29th April 2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: required details added
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:22 AM
1Noob

Thanks for the above replies I was able to find out that another engineer had taken the responsibility to respond to the auditors.

So far there has been no formal communication... this effects are Customer Service and Quality department.... left in the dark....(The person who left was VP Quality & CS)

Also I have been reading quality reports from my former boss and he put this in one of his slide... "Treat the ISO QMS as a tool and opportunity to improve the business, not as a burden"... now I am concerned...

Some other information:
why did the previous guy leave?
He left because he was being replaced. They offered him 1 year to stay and train the other guy and not give him his severance after he has worked for them for 20 years.

how do you know this new person has no experience?
If he has no experience or education, how did he get hired? (nepotism?)
New guy was promoted by brown nosing and taking credit from others.

making ANY assumption about what a guy knows or doesn't know is really walking on thin ice in spring melt time - marshal your facts before offering a solution - this apparent "running around" may very well be an attempt by HIM to marshal all his facts about the organization's operation before 5/11/2012
Could be....

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Quality Manager Issues > Quality Management Related Issues

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?