Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Medical Device Circuit Board Component Changes - Is this rework or not?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
circuit card asembly, configuration management, definitions, engineering changes, iso 13485 - medical device qms, medical device parts and components, medical devices (general), pcb (printed circuit board), rework, pcba (printed circuit board assembly)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 4th May 2012, 04:06 PM
RCW

Question Medical Device Circuit Board Component Changes - Is this rework or not?

My company is building a circuit board assembly for a customer. This is for a medical device and is for a new product. After the assemblies were completely built, the customer has come back to have 2 parts 'changed' on them. They claim it is not rework. It is just two component changes to go from the old revision to the current revision.

I'm sorry but this reads as rework to me and therefore should be controlled by rework instructions and should have the adverse effects reviewed before performing the rework.

Am I right or wrong on this?

Adding: Oh, and ISO 13485 is definitely a requirement with this job.

Last edited by RCW; 4th May 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added 13485 requirement

Sponsored Links
Old 4th May 2012, 05:00 PM
Mikishots

Re: Medical Device Circuit Board Component Changes - Is this rework or not?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCW View Post

My company is building a circuit board assembly for a customer. This is for a medical device and is for a new product. After the assemblies were completely built, the customer has come back to have 2 parts 'changed' on them. They claim it is not rework. It is just two component changes to go from the old revision to the current revision.

I'm sorry but this reads as rework to me and therefore should be controlled by rework instructions and should have the adverse effects reviewed before performing the rework.

Am I right or wrong on this?

Adding: Oh, and ISO 13485 is definitely a requirement with this job.
When you say "changes to go from the old revision to the current revision", do you mean the delivered PCBA wasn't current? Can you clarify?

By definition, REWORK is to change an item in order to improve it or make it more suitable for a particular purpose, e.g. to rework a defective product into one that exhibits the quality required for acceptance. If the delivered PCBA met the BOM requirements, any alteration to make it suit another purpose is certainly rework.

Did they offer any explanation as to why they don't consider it rework?
Thanks to Mikishots for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 7th May 2012, 08:19 AM
RCW

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mikishots View Post

When you say "changes to go from the old revision to the current revision", do you mean the delivered PCBA wasn't current? Can you clarify?
"changes to go from the old revision to the current revision" is from the actual email I saw explaining why this isn't rework. It appears it was a design change even though these are production boards.

Quote:

Did they offer any explanation as to why they don't consider it rework?
After some further investigation, I found the company that did not consider it rework is a subcontractor to my customer. I also found out that they like to run their business loose and under the table, which explains why it wasn't rework in their eyes.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:22 AM
RCW

Quote:

By definition, REWORK is to change an item in order to improve it or make it more suitable for a particular purpose, e.g. to rework a defective product into one that exhibits the quality required for acceptance.
Just curious, did this definition come directly from a source or was it paraphrased? I've seen a few definitions of rework before but this one seems slightly different from what I have encountered.

I'm not attacking the definition, just trying to find the source.
Old 7th May 2012, 05:48 PM
Ronen E

Hi,

The important thing is that the work is controlled and risks are mitigated. One could term it in more than one way. It could be rework but to me it seems more of a design change (which would warrant risk analysis just the same). The reason I don't lean towards the rework terminology is that the reason for parts replacement wasn't a defect or failing some predefined test etc. (at least not according to available info). It sounds more like an intended change in desired performance.

You could define in your records describing the change and the work (components replacement) that the material input for making the new version is actually the old version units, provided by the customer (if I got it right and they were actually already delivered, then returned).

Just my opinion, no "legal" quotes here

Cheers,
Ronen.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:57 AM
somashekar

Quote:
Hi RCW... Yes
You are spot on.
The circuit board has come made under controlled conditions, and when you engage in doing the suggested changes, due care has to be taken to ensure that no other damage is induced on the balance part of the circuit board, which may have impact on the safety and effectiveness of the final device. To ensure this certain controls are necessary (aka rework instructions) and certain tests further to rework to ensure the rework is in order and the circuit board performs per the new changes / current revision.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:38 PM
RCW

Okay, I was discussing this problem with someone here and now I am sitting on the fence between it's procedure-controlled rework and it's not.

These boards were built by my supplier. My supplier is not registered to ISO 13485. The supplier was in error and the supplier reworked the board. So it's a question of should this be viewed from the assembly (the board goes in a medical device therefore rework to approved procedures) OR view it from the supplier (he is just building a board and will rework to his own internal methods).

If I was building the board at my facility, it's cut & dried - rework procedure required. Having a supplier build, I'm confused as to what is applicable.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:57 PM
somashekar

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCW View Post

Okay, I was discussing this problem with someone here and now I am sitting on the fence between it's procedure-controlled rework and it's not.

These boards were built by my supplier. My supplier is not registered to ISO 13485. The supplier was in error and the supplier reworked the board. So it's a question of should this be viewed from the assembly (the board goes in a medical device therefore rework to approved procedures) OR view it from the supplier (he is just building a board and will rework to his own internal methods).

If I was building the board at my facility, it's cut & dried - rework procedure required. Having a supplier build, I'm confused as to what is applicable.
Control over outsourced process is applicable and in this control the rework method, risk assessment and necessary verification after rework applies.... AS IF the board is being built at your facility.
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?