The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, audit observation, audits and auditing, iso 19011 - quality (qms) and ems audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 16th July 2001, 02:50 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Dec 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 57
anonymous has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Clown No More Observations? Findings vs. Observations

Quite recently, I read or heard that the latest revision of the audit standard (ISO 19011, I think ?) will no longer have "observations" and all negative findings will require a corrective action. Help!! Somebody please tell me I'm wrong.

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 16th July 2001, 03:16 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 150
Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Ross,

ISO 19011 has not been released (maybe next year). I have the 10/1/99 draft of 19011 and I do not see anything in it about all negative findings will require requiring a corrective action, where did you see this?
Sponsored Links

Old 16th July 2001, 03:25 PM
Ross Simpson
Unregistered Guest

Question

ISOGUY: As I said, can't remember whether I read it Or heard it. Hell, I'm lucky I remember where the ON switch is for this computer!
All kidding aside, I saw it or heard it some where. Maybe it's a new auditors requirement to create even MORE paper work for these poor guys.
Will see if I can find or remember the source. Let's hope I'm all wet !

------------------
Old 19th July 2001, 02:53 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,460
Thanked 5,159 Times in 3,277 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Lightbulb

The following from the ISO listserve may shed some light on this topic:

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:39:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Findings vs. Observations /Tingerthal/Arter

Tom Tingerthal recently wrote:

> When there is a "finding" during an audit, a corrective action is
> created. When there is an "observation" we use the same forms and
> distribution methods to get the problem addressed.
>
> The questions is, does the observation require action to be
> taken?

As of today, there is no accepted international definition of the word "finding." The draft ISO 19011 is attempting to solve this difficulty, but it may be another year in committee.

As many know, quality (and environmental) auditing has its roots in financial auditing. The standards for financial auditors and their professional societies use the term finding, but don't define it. When you analyze their usage, though, you will see that it means something bad. When I wrote my book back in 1987, I did a thorough literature search and found but one definition of the word (in an obscure government regulation for nuclear research). So, I made up a definition and put it in the back of my book! I said it was a) bad, b) violated a requirement, and c) was significant.

Around 1989, the ASQ Quality Audit Technical Committee (now Quality Audit Division) was working on the Certification for Quality Auditors. We argued into the night, but finally came up with: "A conclusion of importance based on observation(s)." This was done to account for those organizations who used "finding" in a positive manner. The definition was published in the CQA exam brochure.

In 1994, when we started the revisions to ISO 10011 (the quality auditing standard), we came up with: "results of the evaluation of the collected audit evidence compared against the agreed criteria, and which provide the basis for the audit report." Ugh! As you know, that effort was stopped in 1998, when international pressure built for a combined quality and environmental auditing standard, ISO 19011.

The current draft of 19011 says that a finding is "results of the evaluation of the collected audit evidence against audit criteria." The note to this definition states that "audit findings can indicate either conformity or nonconformity with audit criteria or opportunities for improvement."

It is becoming clear to many that an audit finding, while good or bad, needs to focus on the bigger picture, rather than the symptoms of the condition. In the class I teach, I state that findings must contain two elements: cause and effect.

(I'm almost done here.)

"Observations" are even even more screwed up! In the beginning days of financial auditing, one would gather facts (observations) and then draw conclusions (findings) from those facts. Over the years, though, observations have morphed into a sort of mini- finding. As though the auditor is saying, "I can't quite write you up, but I believe this is wrong." Even though we always said, "This is not a violation," the implication was, "You better look at this or I'm gonna make your life miserable."

Many auditors saw this sorry state and stopped using the term "observation" in the mid-1990s. When we started drafting the ISO 10011 revisions and then the ISO 19011 document, we removed the term. In its place, we use the term "objective evidence." We hope this will reduce the amount of confusion out there and "observations" will slowly fade away.

Finally, the answer to your question. Because neither of these terms are defined, you may treat "findings and observations" however you decide in your own quality/environmental management system manuals and procedures. The third-party registrars must accept your approach. Likewise, the registrars can use "findings and observations" however they please. You hired them and you can fire them.

Dennis

Also see: QS/ISO 9000 Major vs. Minor Nonconformances
and
Difference between major, Minor, finding and Observation in relation to a CAR
Old 25th May 2004, 07:19 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,460
Thanked 5,159 Times in 3,277 Posts
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
It's been a few years... What is an 'Observation' today - May 2004? Did this evolve to 'Opportunity for Improvement'?

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 25th May 2004, 09:07 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: May 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 1,321
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Claes Gefvenberg is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc

It's been a few years... What is an 'Observation' today - May 2004? Did this evolve to 'Opportunity for Improvement'?
I suppose it did... Internally we don't use observations. It's either a NC or not... Our registrar on the other hand, is still using them.

Neither 9001:2000, 14001:1996 nor 19011:2002 mentions observations in this context.

/Claes

Hanlon's Razor.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
User Groups: Elsmar Cove Cycling Enthusiasts Formula 1 fanatics Photo freaks Readers Corner
Old 7th March 2011, 07:15 PM
Getting Involved (6 to 9 Posts)

Registration Date: Mar 2011

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 14
qawatchdog has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: No More Observations? Findings vs. Observations

I am requesting any updated info on this very old thread on ISO19011. Mainly comparison of Findings to Observations. Yes, this is still an ongoing issue that periodically rears its ugly head. I am soliciting any germain threads or current discussion.
cheers
QAW
Old 7th March 2011, 07:28 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,049
Thanked 5,974 Times in 3,809 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: No More Observations? Findings vs. Observations

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qawatchdog View Post

I am requesting any updated info on this very old thread on ISO19011. Mainly comparison of Findings to Observations. Yes, this is still an ongoing issue that periodically rears its ugly head. I am soliciting any germain threads or current discussion.
cheers
QAW
What, specifically, is your interest?* There's a current thread where the OP reports that his CB is using "area of concern" to describe what once was called a "minor" nonconformity.

ETA: *It occurred to me after I hit the "submit" button that my question should have been "What, specifically, is your area of concern?"

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Registrars and National / International Organizations > Registrars (Certification Bodies) and Registration

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?