Tracking of PPAP Timing and Sample Deliveries

QMMike

Involved In Discussions
Hello Cove'rs -

I have a problem that I'm trying to deal with - what better way to deal with it than to air it out and see what everyone else thinks, right?

One of my objectives as part of on time delivery, is how quickly we turn around samples/PPAPs. Seems simple to me, but here is the problem. I have a feeling I know what you are going to say, because I've been saying it myself!

A request for quote is received, a quote is sent with a lead time of 4-6 weeks or 6-7 weeks (lead time varies depending on complexity). Our customer likes the quote, sends us the order and, low and behold the due date on the PO is a week or two earlier than our quote :frust:. My stance is - the PO is a contract. We sign/agree to the PO, we accept the contract for what it is - and the due dates. Our sales force - "we cannot turn away the PO's, the customer knows their due dates are not realistic, they just want the material as quickly as possible. Our customer score cards always come back favorable." The suggestion has been posed that for my tracking purposes, I create two columns; one with customer stated due date, with the title "Requested Date" and then another with our "Quoted Delivery Date". Using the "QDD" to determine our timeliness.

Here is a sampling of 5 different customers.

Examples -

Customer 1 -
PO receipt date; 08/17/10 - quoted 6-7 weeks - sample due date of 09/08/10 - production due date 10/8/10

Customer 2 -
PO receipt date; 07/15/10 - quoted 4-6 weeks - sample due date 07/07/10!

Customer 4 -
PO receipt date; 09/07/10 - quoted 4-6 weeks - samples due 09/15/10

Customer 5 -
PO receipt date; 09/10/10 - quoted 4-6 weeks - samples due 09/24/10

Thoughts?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
I agree with you and there is this problem all the time.
Make sure that with the confirmation of the order it is stated the actual delivery date that you confirm.

Top Bottom