Who owns Configuration Management

T

tdopp

We are having an internal discussion about this. Engineering thinks they should own CM and Quality can have the documentation control end. Quality thinks they should have it all.
Any thoughts?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Who is responsible for the content?

There is no correct answer, what ever works better for your organisation.

C

CaseyAnn

What type of system are your discussions around? Is it an eDRMS or something else? If it's not some sort of eDRMS, ignore what I say below!! :lol:

I am in a similar boat - engineering want to own the CM for a eDRMS that is being implemented across our business (more than engineering will be using it). My answer to that is a big, fat NO WAY.

If the system is strictly limited to engineering ONLY, then I guess there isn't a huge issue (e.g. a drawing management program). But if there are any touchpoints to any other functional group on any level, then engineering should not manage CM.

The system infrastructure, software and hardware should be managed and supported by IT.

The people processes, information classification, system configuration/sturcture, security, retention and disposal, managed by document control/information management in accordance with ISO 15489.

The content that goes in would be "owned" by engineering (or finance, HSE, etc.), but the system control/administration should sit with information management.

If it's between engineering & quality... I vote quality!

C :)

Randy

Super Moderator
Doesn't matter, it could even be a janitor if that person was deemed to be appropriate by whoever has the authority to do so.

T

trainerbob

I agree with Howard and Randy. It's what makies sense for your organization that counts. Everybody needs to have ownership of the organization. Sometimes we get so wrapped up worring about our own "kingdom" that everybody else is wrong. Working together to figure this out is what makes sense for your organization.

D

Duke Okes

Also depends on what the configuration management system is covering. Product, machinery, buildings, etc.?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
We are having an internal discussion about this. Engineering thinks they should own CM and Quality can have the documentation control end. Quality thinks they should have it all.
Any thoughts?
I've written and lectured extensively about Document Control AND Configuration Management (which I think is not fully understood by most folks who think of it merely as a housekeeping function of cleaning out obsolete documents and replacing them with new revisions as they come in (from customers, suppliers, regulators, in-house designers, and in-house executives and other bosses.))

One of my long answers about Configuration Management is found here, but recently I came up with a shorter one:
In general, Configuration Management (CM) seems to give more folks "wedgies" than anything else to do with document management.

In relatively complicated environments like aerospace manufacturing, my personal opinion is that CM needs to be overseen by someone who has a firm grasp of the big picture (overall operations) of the organization. Merely revising a document is only the beginning of a whole string of decisions ranging the gamut from
  • "this will take effect when and if we use up all the old stock"
to
  • "Stop everything! Recall all previous models, destroy all existing stock, institute an organization-wide purge of all obsolete versions of this document."
Often, the correct decisions are ingrained in the pertinent personnel to the extent they make them without further thought. Very infrequently, however, some manager will become penny-wise and pound foolish by hiring a low-wage clerk to do something he thinks of as a "filing function" (Configuration Management) when the true function requires managerial level decision making for the optimum decision to preserve corporate profitability and still assure meeting all customer requirements. It also requires thinking beyond the box in terms of knowing that a change as simple as one from straight slot screws to Phillips head may also entail changing production equipment and work instructions and repair instructions and repair kits, changing suppliers, finding a customer for obsolete stock, etc.

Top Bottom