Managing and Containment of Hazardous Material in Solid Waste

B

bramanta

Hi. I have a problem in managing waste containing hazardous material. In our manufacturing system (producing rim for bike - stell cold roll), we use buffwheel, a kind of perishable tool for surface treatment. That buffwheel contain material categorized as hazardous material called phenol to bond. The problem is, we produces buffweel waste in large amount and phenol is still there. It will cost much if we dispose them as hazardous waste. My question:
1. Is there any other cheaper way to manage this waste?
2. Can we categorized bufwheel not as hazardous waste if the containment of phenol is just a little? Is there any limit of containment so we can say the solid waste is hazardous or not?

Thank's in advance,
Bramanta

Dear Bramanta,

From the description of the process, I believe that you are referring to the Phenol-formaldehyde resin (resol) that is used as a bonding agent in your buffing wheel. As this is a polymer-resin (thermoset) that has been cured well, it is unlikely that it has free phenol to an extent to call this a hazardous waste. You may like to check with your legislation to find out if "Bakelite" or similar thermoset plastics are hazardous wastes to decide on further course of action.

With best wishes,
Ramakrishnan

ugurkavi

Registered Visitor
Well, as Doc said check with your local environmental legislation to see if it is regarded as hazardous material. If you can't make sense of your local legislation (sometimes it happens), ask your local environmental officials (whatever they are called in your own country). That's usually what I do. If it is regarded as hazardous material, its wastes will most likely be treated the same and if legislation doesn't allow anything else you have no other option. One solution would be to observe the process closely and to try to improve it so less waste would be produced (but this is the obvious solution isn't it:D ):2cents:

B

bramanta

Thank you Doc and Urgavi. Doc You explained what I need: chemical things behind it. I have rechecked the list of hazardous material and found nothing about bakelite or phenolic resin. Now I know what to do. thank you.

regards,
Bramanta

Top Bottom