Collecting Analysis Reports from all Departments - Clause 8.4 Analysis of Data

P

PE-2011

Dear Friends, Clause No.8.4 Analysis of data.

One firm is organized quarterly internal audit for continual improvement. The MR is collecting every quarter analysis report from all departments namely HR, Admin, Marketing, Purchase, Store, Production etc. etc. and reviewing the progress of work as well as quality in management review meeting.

Is this wrong collecting Analysis report from all departments?

Analysis report is not applicable to some departments like HR, Admin etc.?

Please help to clear this doubt.

Regards
Maheswari

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Most definitely not wrong to me! I would love to see more organisations making more use of clauses like 8.4. However, the only mandatory areas for analysis of data are those listed in 8.4 a) to d).

Have you noticed by the way, apart from d) suppliers, the rest of the information should arise from conducting the monitoring and measuring activities required in 8.2?

Well done the MR - or better still, why not get the departmental head to do it under guidance from the MR? :)

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

One firm is organized quarterly internal audit for continual improvement. The MR is collecting every quarter analysis report from all departments namely HR, Admin, Marketing, Purchase, Store, Production etc. etc. and reviewing the progress of work as well as quality in management review meeting.

Regards
Maheswari

I think it is ok. Results of internal ( i.e. internal and external) shall be one of the input of the management review.
Clearly you should transmit the higher facts of the internal/external audit, where there are most urgent and important issues.
As what you ask, if HR , Adm are part of your QMS and you shall audit these process, otherwise you also cannot include them in your internal audit program.This is reported in clause 8.2.2 section a and b too.:bigwave:

P

pldey42

I think that measurements should be useful.

So it would be a bad idea to collect measurements from all departments with no more purpose in mind than to mechanically implement the standard.

It might make sense, though, to ask each department to identify metrics that measure its contribution to the organization's Quality Objectives, and thereby its contribution to success in achieving the quality policy.

For example, one quality policy objective might be to meet customer requirements. That might translate into a measurable objective (amongst others) of delivering on time in full.

The administration contribution might be mesured in terms of order processing time, and order entry errors.

The HR contribution might be in terms of delivery of competent people into operations according to resource plans.

Doing it this way uses metrics to align everyone towards the quality policy, which itself is hopefully mindful of customer satisfaction.

Hope this helps,
Pat

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Regards
Maheswari
Dear Maheswari.
You have a simple and straight response in post #2 from Colin.
If you want my answer, then I will say it is wrong. The departments who have to do this task must be able to also have the inference (suitability and effectiveness) after analysis towards meeting the set objective of their department.
This which you may also call performance of the QMS can be taken by the MR to the top management, with his comments and notes for improvements. The MR should not go around collecting this. A good MIS (management information system) must be thought and built within the QMS

Last edited:
J

JustADude

Note that in ISO section 4.1 the organization is required to identify the processes needed for the quality management system. In section 7.1 the organization must plan and develop the processes needed for product realization. Section 5.6.2 talks about Management Review and names required inputs for management review. One of the inputs is "information on process performance".

In the scenario that you describe I would be concerned that the organization is simply gathering and reporting data in order to satisfy ISO. What they should do is to first clearly identify the key processes. After that they should gather and report data on those key processes. The data will guide them in terms of either having or needing continuous improvement.

Top Bottom