ASQ re-cert by exam... doesn't give you three years from exam date?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I did a re-cert by exam for the CMQ/OE because my cert had expired.
I took the exam on 10/21/2006 and passed.
My certificate says "Recertify by: 6/30/2008" I just did the math and realized that that's just over a year and a half from the exam. It never struck me until now.

I sent a message off the ASQ asking why I wan't renewed for three years.
The response I got was:
Since you chose to recert by exam, you paid a lesser fee. What it does it extends the date from the due date.
Followed by a bunch of tips for getting the 18 points needed for the journal and nice offer of help.

Because I paid a lesser fee I got less time?
Following this logic if I recerted in 10/2007 I would only have gotten 6 months until recert.
I'm sure I can scratch up enough credits, but that's not the point here.
I took the whole exam, I want the whole three years.

I haven't responded yet. Feedback from fellow ASQ members is appreciated.

P.S. - how do you think they might count being a moderator on a very active Quality forum? :D

D

Duke Okes

Perhaps if you agree to pay the full fee you can get 3 years.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I just printed out and read the current recert journal (July 2007) where it does state all this. It also answers my question about recerting even later - after one year past expiration you have to take it as a new applicant.
I don't remember this being stated in past versions of the recert journal prior to July 2007...

Because, according to July 2007 rules, I SHOULD have taken it as a new applicant as I re-certed 16 months after I expired.

So maybe I owe the ASQ $50.00 and they owe me another year?

I doubt it. I'll take the $30.00 and $20 of my time to fill out the journal for another three years.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I just printed out and read the current recert journal (July 2007) where it does state all this. It also answers my question about recerting even later - after one year past expiration you have to take it as a new applicant.
I don't remember this being stated in past versions of the recert journal prior to July 2007...

Because, according to July 2007 rules, I SHOULD have taken it as a new applicant as I re-certed 16 months after I expired.

So maybe I owe the ASQ $50.00 and they owe me another year?

I doubt it. I'll take the $30.00 and $20 of my time to fill out the journal for another three years.

:topic: Here is your answer....:biglaugh:

Stijloor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I have no patience for this kind of nonsense. :mad: I would press the issue with ASQ. You take the exam and pass, you should get 3 year certificate.
:2cents:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I have no patience for this kind of nonsense. :mad: I would press the issue with ASQ. You take the exam and pass, you should get 3 year certificate.
:2cents:

I hear you.
After all the reduced fee was only $50.00 less than the full fee.
Perhaps the reduction should be tied to how much longer to recert...
Pay the full fee - get three years. Pay a reduced fee contingent on how much longer until you need to recert, not just a flat $50.00 reduction.

But I can easily get the 18 points so it's not worth the effort right now.
After I get the extension I'll send a well thought out opinoin to customer service.

Top Bottom