Process Mapping - for "Audits" - Detailed process map + macro map + FMEA

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions
Hi

Need a bit of guidance or pointers on how to say create a detailed process map + macro map + FMEA for this procedure:

Some detailed description of the current process of "overall audit structure"...

each cell is self- audited 1 time per shift( X 3 shifts per day) - by an operator
each cell is audited bi-weekly by an internal auditor
each cell is randomly audited by manager (no timeframes)
each cell is also randomly audited by site quality team (no timeframes)

Here are some additional details: Each cell has its own checklist to audit ...vaguely may be:

Check form A has been filled up
Check PM for machine X
Check expiry for chemical K
Check calibration for machine L

Something like that.....What I was thinking was if I could map the daily audit, bi-weekly and the management - i could identify gaps in the procedures and move on there on.....Currently am struggling to think of a way to map this "process".

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Process Mapping - for "Audits"

Hi

Need a bit of guidance or pointers on how to say create a detailed process map + macro map + FMEA for this procedure:

Some detailed description of the current process of "overall audit structure"...

each cell is self- audited 1 time per shift( X 3 shifts per day) - by an operator

Here are some additional details: Each cell has its own checklist to audit ...vaguely may be:

Check PM for machine X

Something like that.....What I was thinking was if I could map the daily audit, bi-weekly and the management - i could identify gaps in the procedures and move on there on.....Currently am struggling to think of a way to map this "process".

No wonder! IMHO you're making in danger of making a mountain out of a mole hill! In considering this and your other post (wasn't it about a 6 Sigma Project on Audits) I think you're going about this all wrong.

What's the objective here?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hi

Check PM for machine X

There are two instances (among others, I suppose) when flowcharts or process maps, or whatever they're being called this week, are used. The first is in design of a process-- a preliminary layout of logical process flow to which details are added as necessary in the development process. The second type involves graphically describing an existing process, which might be done for training purposes, or to provide a basis for requirements.

You're dealing with the second variety, and if the process flow isn't clear to you it means that either you're just nor familiar enough with the process, or the process is a mess that doesn't lend itself to logical depiction. If the former is true, you need to get familiar by being close to the process and watching what happens. If the latter is the case, your attempt at flowcharting has served its initial purpose and you know that something needs to be straightened out. Of course, a combination of these factors might be at work, but in any case when you're having difficulty "mapping" the process it usually means that there's something wrong with either you (lack of knowledge) or the process itself.

T

tamale

Try this, it's in french but I have translated the headings for your benefit.

Good luck!

Tamale

Attachments

• Internal audit flowchart 2.xls
    169 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited by a moderator:

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions

Objective here is pretty simple though to achieve it is probably not....the aim is to find an effective way to audit (maybe by even decresing frequency) and drive it down to a point where minimum auditing is not needed...could you please expand on what your opinion is?

the thing here is am pushing for a better audit effectiveness but management wants it all "data driven" and DMAIC approached.....there is no doubt the current process is not working and is flawed...the issue like i said is management is reluctant to remove it.....and are willing to spend the extra buck of labour hrs spent on doing it(though honestly its proving to be equal to marking and just passing on paper and not going through the details)......1) as it is too long and tedious (could do a timestudy and shorten it to get operator buy in to enable them to "quick check" ....

Unfortunately I agree this is a mire to be stuck in but at the end 'management needs a resolution' to issue of daily cell passes and bi-weekly non-conformances for the same area...

Last edited:

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions

Yup....overall the "audit process" needs major improvement......i could map the cell layout and depict out where and what needs to be checked...yes am evidently familiar with the process though the only issue is it does not lend to the "prototypical process mapping structure".....process itself like a said is a series of checkpoints of various things of importance(chemicals, audit logs etc etc)......

abhipatel

Involved In Discussions

No wonder! IMHO you're making in danger of making a mountain out of a mole hill! In considering this and your other post (wasn't it about a 6 Sigma Project on Audits) I think you're going about this all wrong.

What's the objective here?

Sir I would like to know what am going wrong on? have explained the objective in another post......its just a learning curve for me and would be glad to get some ideas from you and everyone else here...thanks

AndyN

Moved On

Well, the mechanics or tactics of doing audits you can get in all manner of trainings. I'll suggest/assume that these are basically OK.

I'm going to suggest that what needs improvement is the management/control of the process, not necessarily the 'process'. From the planning and preparation of when and what to audit, to the selection of the auditor etc. - that's what needs working on. I personally like the DMAIC model for managing internal audits, but not sure about applying DMAIC to improve audits, that's all.

I've recently written a couple of newletter articles for my company which you might find goes a way to explaining what could be in place.

They can be found here

Top Bottom