Definition Management System - Definition of

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
With the current focus on "integrated management systems", some of us in the UK thought that it would be useful to establish if there is a simple, commonly understood definition of the term "Management System". [We have already discovered some surprising diverse views on what we thought was a well established concept]. Obviously, if people have differing views of what basic terms mean, there is a risk of all sorts of confusion when one person uses a term in a different way from what a reader expects or understands.

I have my own definition, which I will post in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, how would you explain the term (in one sentence?) to someone who understands how an organisation works in principle, but doesn't necessarily know a lot of management theory?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I take it that you don't like the ISO 9000:2005 definition. It is simple.

3.2.2 management system
system
(3.2.1) to establish policy and objectives and to achieve those objectives

NOTE A management system of an
organization (3.3.1) can include different management systems, such as a quality management system (3.2.3), a financial management system or an environmental management system.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Sidney Vianna said:
I take it that you don't like the ISO 9000:2005 definition. It is simple.

Sidney

Yes, it is simple, so I like it. But the problem we have found is when some folk explain what they think "the system" consists of.

Top Bottom