Inspection Measurement Documentation - AS9100B Clause 8.2.4.1

W

wassup

Hi All,

This is my first use on my own. I have previously tuned in when my colleague was viewing the forum, but now I would like to participate myself as I am an active member of our certification task force now.

I have a question concerning the AS9100B requirement that states "measurement reqt's for product...documented. ...but shall include d) type of measurement instruments required and specific instructions associated with use.

My company has very generic process sheets as we are more of a job shop and do one-offs. Our inspection record lists all of the dimensions and features from the customer print with the actual measurements. We indicate acceptance or rejection. Although we have a column for Methdo, we do not use this. At the bottom of the sheet we list the inspection tools that were used by serial number with no other descriptor. There is no direct correlation between the measurement equipment and any specific feature being measure.

The inspectors are trained in the use of the appropriate equipment as far as accuracy, etc.

We are preparing for AS9100B certification and I have mentioned that this may not satisfy the requirement. We have used this system for years and have many aerospace customers that conduct their own audits. This has never come up as an issue.

Could you please provide feedback for this? Are there any of you that have received registrar findings? I need to have some good objective evicence to take to our team leader that we have to change our system.

Thanks in advance. :thanks:

J

Jeff Frost

This clause of the AS9100 is requiring that inspection actions must be documented. These actions may be done on a separate inspection instructions or within the body of your routers, travelers, etc. The instructions must define the criteria for acceptance and rejections through the use of dimensional characteristics, visual inspection or performance characteristics.

The instructions must define when and where the inspection is to take place within the process and a method of recording the information required in clause “a” through “d” and the type of Inspection instrument to be used.

Within my organization we use the following methods:

• Work Instruction defining “Key characteristics” to be inspected. We use tolerance rage of dimension to be inspected as the driver. We maintain a 4:1 ration during inspection and have a reference chart with list standard tolerance ranges of dimensions to be inspected. This chart then indicates the appropriate gage to be used to inspect the dimension.

• Work order routing contains inspection points such as first piece set-up, in-process inspection and final inspection along with the required sampling plan/method.

• Verification results of inspection are recorded directly on the drawing which remains with the work order package. Our work orders defines the process of manufacturing and when completed becomes our record for the process. Any test reports or process certifications are also attached to the work order.

Review your current manufacturing/service process with the eye to how they currently meet the requirement of the standard, adding those missing elements in the simplest way possible. Just be ready to explain how your manufacturing process meets each requirement of this clause to an auditor.

A

andygr

you have quoted
the AS9100B requirement that states "measurement reqt's for product...documented. ...but shall include d) type of measurement instruments required and specific instructions associated with use.

There is a key word missing from the requirement. Just before "specific" there should be the word "any".

The intent that I see from this is that if you have an inspection process that is complex enough that your inspector training program and qualification program does not suport the inspector(s) capability to consistantly perform the inspection you need to provide clear dirrection for the tools required such as a test instrument, cmm, type of Fluke meter and how to use them.

As addressed in the header para of this section of the AS spec ( para 8.2.4.1) the information can be in the process document but is not required to be there if covered somewhere else.

The intent is not to document to the nth degree that inspector that is require to measure the overall length of a part has to have an inspection plan that calles out which caliper to use and specific instruction on how to perform the measurement.
You can write detailed process planning like but I find that a ballanced approach between a good training program and process instruction works best.

Of course if you are working under the AS 9100 QA system you are also most likley compying with the FAI to AS9102 and there you do need to provide the detail of which inspection tool was used.

As always my thoughs

W

wassup

Dear All,

Thank you all for your advice. I like your approach Cari, but since our jobs are generally small lots; can be 1 piece and the drawing belongs to the customer, we wouldn't want to use the drawing to identify the inspection device.

I think the general chart for usage based on tolerance might be feasible for us because it gives the inspector the flexibility to use any device that is appropriate for the feature.

I also feel that our training records would show that the inspectors have the experience to decide on the correct device and that its effectiveness could be assessed by observation of practice.

So do you think even though we have column for method on our form that is not filled out, the assessor will not have an issue with this? And does it seem satsifactory just to list a device serial number rather than a description?

Darla:thanx:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
So do you think even though we have column for method on our form that is not filled out, the assessor will not have an issue with this? And does it seem satsifactory just to list a device serial number rather than a description?

Darla:thanx:
I hate blank spaces. The question would be was it intentionally left blank or was it overlooked. You can make a note in the space or change the form. I think the serial or asset # would be sufficient, but if something happens to that asset, you would need to revise your instruction.

Top Bottom