Who among users here is involved in ENERGY STAR?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I may have asked this before, but...

Who here (besides me) is involved in the EPA ENERGY STAR emphasis?

How are you keeping up with the necessary changes and revisions?

Are you a manufacturer, lab, CB, or AB?

If you are not involved in ENERGY STAR, please do feel free to ask all of us that are any question you like.

The program has had good points and bad points in the past and likely will in the future, but all of us that buy the products can have confidence in them nowadays. And more confidence going forward.

D

Dan Armstrong

Re: Who here is involved in ENERGY STAR?

My daughter works for a DOE contractor doing some eStar things (developing test procedures and test stands, testing appliances, etc.). PM me if you would like to get in touch with her.

T

tsmith7858

We have a major customer that is big in Sustainability and "Green" manufacturing. We put in a sustainability program and became involved in Energy Star through them.

Since they are a large international company, we keep up to date through them. As a co-manufacturer we are required to provide them with progress reports and measurables monthly. We also get invites to web casts and training sessions.

S

Seeisoguy - 2011

We have several products that are Energy star qualified.
Yes, it is difficult to keep up with the legislation. We rely on a couple of sources for information. However, what is boils down to is to find the document that applies to your product from the Department of Energy website. A good place to start is

https://www.directives.doe.gov/

On the website listed above you can subscribe for updates to DOE Directives. While on the site. Conduct a search for the DOE Directive that applies to your product. It is a lot of reading. However, it gives you the details of all the requirements for the Energy Star program and information on testing and report submission.

Good Luck

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Some good responses here.

Yes, the changes coming from EPA are fast and many. Every week there are notices.

It should be noted that DOE has their own program, especially for lighting. EPA does use some DOE information, but ENERGY STAR is all EPA.

P

Popeos

Hi there !

I am actually not directly involved in Energystar, as I work on Energy Efficiency, but outside the US. However I go and visit the Energystar webpage regularly to get valuable information.

I find that the "green" forums are a bit weak on elsmar, so if they can be boosted by more talk about energystar, fine with me

Popeos

note : why have you chosen forum about metrology instead of green/sustainable ? because of the way to measure/certify energystar ?

Randy

Super Moderator

Occasionally one of my clients will list Energy Star as an "other requirement" (ISO 14001 - 4.3.2) and I'll have to incorporate it into an audit, but we don't do E-Star specifically as a stand alone.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Popeos, great question!

The reason is because testing must be by accredited labs (ISO/IEC 17025:2005) and listing must be by accredited certification bodies (CBs), accredited under ISO Guide 65, but now ISO/IEC 17065 is published and so that transition will start. That is why to put the question with the accreditation board.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

<snip> note : why have you chosen forum about metrology instead of green/sustainable ? because of the way to measure/certify energy star?
Thread moved to what I think is the correct forum.

Top Bottom